Need help saving tree

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Red_Rattler, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler LawnSite Member

I need your help here guys, a couple of days ago we had a pretty bad wind storm here and the tree we planted when my son was born (17 years) got pretty ravaged, and we tried to save it, but it had to be taken down, against my sons will of course. :( I was woundering if i took green cuttings from the tree and put them in water, if they would root or not, thats my only option now. :confused: I just want to save this for him, he was really attached to it. I just hope I can. Thanks for all of the input, and if you guys have any ideas, I'm all ears!!!

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Thats impossible. The root system and the branch system are totally different. Sorry to hear about the loss.

4. Of course you can propagate by rooting cuttings. The water method may work or you can use compost, seed starting mix or even coarse sand. Try to get cuttings from the upright growth at the top of the tree rather than from side branches. Take about 6-8 inches of new growth, strip off the lower leaves saving one or two sets at the top with a bud. Dip the stem in rooting hormone and slip into the soil. Now comes the hard part, being summer and all and that is to keep the soil moist and the air around the leaves humid so that the cuttings do not dry out while forming new roots which will take about 4-8 weeks. I'm using some large tub like containers that new trees came in from the garden center. I fill to several inches from the top leaving a space and cover with a piece of plexiglass but not covered completely so there is some air flow. I keep the plants in dappled shade so they get some morning sun but are protected from the hot afternoon sun. Start as many cuttings as you can because some will root and some will fail. You can share the extras with family and friends. Best wishes and good luck!

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Are you kidding valiant? I neverhaerd of such a thing, but if it works, cool. Rather than go through all that, go to the nursery and pick up a similar tree. Pretend its like buying another puppy dog.

6. I'm not kidding cos! :D

Seriously, most trees and shrubs can be propagated by rooting cuttings. With some exceptions. In some cases propagation by seed, grafting or root division is more practical or the only way.

Propagation by cuttings is to literally clone the tree :alien:

I agree with you that it is alot of trouble and that it makes more sense to go to the nursery and get another tree.

This is a special case because of history and sentiment :heart: and that makes it worth the trouble.:D

Some links:

OVERVIEW OF CUTTING PROPAGATION

How to Propagate from Cuttings

Easy Plant Propagation Techniques that Work Great at Home

7. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the help guys, specially Mr. Valiant, BTW, I'm a Dodge man myself... ;)

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I cut some branches off of our Norwegian Maple tree and pounded one branch in the ground to make a small fence in a flower garden. It started growing and I had to spray it with roundup. I did take a picture of this growing post. :)

Rooting hormone does work Cos. ;)