Need help selecting a camera

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Envy Lawn Service, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I dropped and broke my old digital camera. It never did take great pics but I liked it because the 'size' of the photos was always perfect for Lawnsite, which was a stroke of luck because it did not come with editing software.

So now I am looking for a new one. I don't want to spend a fortune because eventually I will break it like the last one. But I do want one that takes cleaner pics and a preview screen would be nice but not a must.

I bought an HP digital camera w/preview screen and ended up taking it back. I really thought it would take much better pictures than my old el'cheapo did. They were some better, but not much and the images were HUGE! Large pixel x pixel and HUGE file sizes.

So I turn to you guys for an education on what the camera specs tell you and maybe some good suggestions.
  2. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

We bought one of the new Canons ... GREAT PICTURES
  3. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

I have a canon Power Shot A70. It's 3.2 megapixels. I paid around 260.00 for mine. More megapixels equals better picture. The higher megapixel cameras can get pretty expensive. The Cannon A70 is a simple camera, and I like it a lot. You can do a search on the internet, and find some good deals on it.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I use a HP with 3.2 MP and 15x zoom

I got a great deal with it, that is why I bought it. $100 off the regular price, free 128MB memory card with it, and free carrying case with it for only $205.00 I couldn't go wrong

I almost forgot, free battery charging as well
  5. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got the Kodak 6490 It's a 4mega pixle with 10X "Optical" zoom. Great pictures don't alway rely on higher mp. You need a camera with a good lense thats why photographers spend more on the lenses then their cameras. The koday comes with a 16mb internal memory, rechargable battery/charger and software thats very easy to use. i paid $370 at circuit city. I made them beat Best buys price. A bit pricey but go look at my pics in this section. Look at the file size and you'll see even at a small file size the pics are clear so can you imagine what they look like before i resize them? Good name brands are Canon, Nikon, Kodak (only there higher end), Olympus.
  6. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

go to and check out the Fujifilm S3000. It is 3.2 megapix with 6X optical zoom, and 3X digital. it sells at circuit city and best buy for $279.00, wolfcamera has it for 199.99 no tax and free shipping. It is a great little camera, and the price is right.

When shopping, pay more attention to the optical zoom, rather than the digital zoom. Optical gives better quality, while digital utilizes the pixels.
  7. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

The camera you need depends on what you are going to do with the camrera and what type of pictures you are going to take. How you want to manipulate them after you've taken them. If you think you might delve deeper into photography then get one with a removable lens. How much do you want to be able to control the settings. That is manual versus full automatic. Camera's are just like mower's. Buy more than you need right now because you might want to expand in the future. A good choice is the Cannon Rebel. I have one and it takes great pictures and is very versatile. 6 mp , interchangable lenses, many high end features, but you can just point and shoot if you want.
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Guy's, how about a camera that can knock off multiple pic's in rapid succesion? By this I don't mean one that will take 20 pix in 5 seconds, I mean one that will take a pic fast, then be ready instantly to take another.. Mine, you can take a pic, but then you have to wait forever to take another while It "saves", the pic.. It has a rapid shoot feature, but itwill just take 5 pics in a very rapid succesion, but you can't even tell what it's capturing after the first pic.. There's no dedicated Camera shop real locall....
  9. KathysLGC

Digi cams need time to process the pic. Most are any where from 2 - 4 seconds. If you have a preview feature see if you can turn it off. With my Kodak i can turn the pic preview off and it shaves about 1 second off the next pic time.
  10. KathysLGC

Hey Envy how about giving a price range? That will be the deciding factor any way. Canon has a real nice SLR 8mp camera for $1000.....