Need help settling a debate..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hootsma, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Hootsma

Hootsma LawnSite Member

My partner and I are ready to up grade our mower, but we disagree on the best possible combination.

Background:
    50 - 60 Properties / 16 Gated
    1/4 - 1/2 Acre
    2 Person crew
    36" W/B Snapper w/ sulke

We have been mower shopping for awhile and have settled on a Wright Sentar.

I would like to keep the W/B for gated props and purchase a 52" or 61" for the rest to get the most efficiency from a 2 person crew.

My partner disagrees and believes we can maximize our efficiency/bottom line by ditching the W/B and getting the 36" Sentar.

There is a $22/week difference in payments between the two options.

What do you'all think is the most efficient combination and why?

Thanks for your help.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Definately get the 61". While your partner is mowing with the walk behind in the back yards you can mow the front and then do all the trimming and edging. You won't believe how much more effecient it will be. You should then start to phase out all gated properties or ask the client to consider getting a larger gate. I split the cost of enlarging gates for 2 of my long time customers and did the install myself. Only took about 30 min and now I can use my larger machine for the whole yard.

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been shopping for a new mower and found the Sentar to have some design problems, and I was advised to not buy one, even by a dealer. The Stander may be something to look at. I went with another Toro Z turn.

4. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

If you keep the walk you will be much more effecient

If you get the 36" sentar your in the same boat but moving faster and more comfortably, but not nearly as much productivity.

5. Hootsma

Hootsma LawnSite Member

Shuter,

What design problems are you referring to? We demoed a 36" Sentar and didn't experience any obvious design flaws. Please elaborate.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search on "Sentar" on this site for problems.

7. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Efficiency made simple: Whatever combination keeps you two working quickly until you both finish your tasks at the same time, while being the cheapest of your options is the best course of action.

The rest is personal preference which none of us can help you with. Are you willing to spend extra money to not work as hard/long? WHat are your opportunity costs (time and money)? THere is no right answer here, only personal, specific, preference. The only rule is that if you expend more effort, money, time, ect. you must get a sufficient return on that investment, which even then boils down to preference.

Obviously, keep in mind associated costs and risk with a larger operation (more pieces of equipment).

I know you know this stuff, I am just trying to remind you of the reality of this type of op. It can be easy to lose sight of the relevant variables.

8. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

You speak as if all lawns are the same. ;)

Are you talking about efficiency or speed?

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

walker 18hp with 48" deck. i modified my walkers so they drive twice as fast as stock. we can do 25 an 8 hr day. once did 24 in 6 hrs.

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Why not try a Stander? The 23HP /52" is a hard combo to beat. Personally, I think anything over a 52" fixed deck may tend to scalp more on uneven lawns. We have no problems with ours(48"'s), and almost doubled our production on most lawns.