1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP SOON...48" belt drive having problems going

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" SCAG belt drive w/b....the belts are new (2 weeks old) and it has problems on turns...slows down ALOT almost stops sometimes...i can make it get up and go by pusshing down on the handles and putting more tension on the belts...so basically how do i put more tension on the belts without having to push down on the handles?!? the tranny belt is very tight....HELP ME!!! this is slowing me down alot
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

a.) Those knock-off belts don't bite as good factory spec'd ones.
    b.) Tighter tensioning springs may help, but will require more effort to pull the lever.
    c.) Make the next one a hydro!
  3. Orkin Yards

the weird thing is though that i put the SAME BELTS at the SAME TIME on my 36" and it works fine....
  4. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

I just put new drive belts on my 48" eXmark and found that I had to adjust the levers and brakes quite a bit. Have you done any adjusting?
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you are running the stock springs which are way overkill, there's no way it should slip, unless you using a velky and are heavy. However, the drive pulley's wear easily. What happens is the center groove doesn't wear as fast as the rest of the pulley and the groove prevents the belt from seating down in the pulley. Take the pulley's off and using a bench grinder, grind down the middle groove about 1/8".This will let the belt fully seat. IMO, any belt should grip enough to give good traction.
  6. Orkin Yards

this is prob going to sound dumb, but which pulley are you calling the "drive" pulley?
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The smaller ones, and "not" the ones attached to the wheels......
  8. cbukfan

cbukfan LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

You said it all when you said you had a Scagg. I have two Exmark belt drives and have never had a problem out of either of them. I have freinds with Scaggs and they encounter the same problem you're having all the time. Unload the Scagg.
  9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the breaks arnt to tight & the handles are adjusted properly (goes down far enough).
  10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I assume that you are mowing in dry conditions? If they get wet, they do exactly what you are saying, I know that probably sounds obvious. Maybe a glazed belt? Maybe try some belt dressing? Maybe try to tighten that drive belt some more. I make the belt as tight as I can, then tighten up the pully so that she is snug, but not overly tight. I then take a mallot and a pry bar or heavy screw driver and rap on that carriage bolt head til she is real tight, then torque down that nut on the pully real good. I have never had any problems with my scags slipping when doing these things.

I hope you get her fixed soon.