Need Help - spring is almost here!!!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kona, Feb 17, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I can't decide on which walk behind to get -
    I will be buying my first mower soon i have 4-6 lawns so far including my own and am leaning towards buying a gear drive.
    I have a lawn with a slightly steep hill in the front yard, will a gear(belt) drive be ok on this or will i have a lot of problems .
    I want to spend around $3000.00 . I just dont want to wish i bought something else.
    I also don't know which to get 36 or 48" fixed or float. I was planning on the 36" but now i'm thinking 48".
    -Do the 48 " fixed scalp and bottom out a lot. is 15hp enough and is pistol or ECS better for someone 5'10" 195 lb. to handleon hills around trees.
    THANK YOU for any input alli do know is that i am buying an EXMARK. You guy's are very helpful
    ps. is the Viking Hydro any good and how much.

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the 36fixed deck belt drive. Get going, and next season buy a 52+ ZTR.

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with a Exmark Metro HP 48" with a 15hp KAW on it. I really liked this machine and I never had any problems with it on hills. I would highly recommend the floating deck, as I have used a fixed deck and didn't really like it that much. I have never used the ECS grips, just the pistols. All I will say is your hands do get a bit tired after a long 10-12 hour day, but you get used to it after a week or two. I really loved this machine, and then I bought a Lazer Z. Once again its all about how much money you want to spend, but the Lazer is so nice. In your price range I would recommend the Metro HP 48", its a really nice machine, and gives a nice cut. You also might want to look into putting a sulky on it. I purchased a one wheeled Velky with mine and it saved me a lot of walking. Good luck with your decision.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a fixed deck 48" that I haven't really had any problems with scalping.

My 36" eXmark metro is a belt drive and its been a great mower. These machines are very low maintenance. Whether you get a hydro or belt is really up to your future plans. If this is going to be a primary mower for a long while spend the extra $$ and get the hydro. You'll be glad you did. Although, you will probably need to add a few dollars to your amount to get it. If you live in an area with really uneven terrain, you might want to consider the floating deck. Around my area, most lawns are pretty smooth, so a fixed deck works fine.

If you haven't noticed I love my eXmark equipment. The guys at eXmark are awesome and are always there to help if you need it. You will not be sorry you bought a red machine.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

kona:

Thanks for contacting Exmark (and lawnsite.com, of course) with your questions. Buying your first commercial mower is a big decision and investment. If you have a lot of steep hills to cut on, you would be better off with a hydro, but you can still get by with a belt drive walk. If guys have problems with their belt drive on the hills, it's usually because the belt(s) that drive the wheels get wet and want to slip. Sometimes it's just a matter of belt adjustment. The Metro is a good starter mower.

The 36" and 48" decks will give you a great looking cut. If you're going to go with a 36" deck, I would buy a fixed-deck Metro. Since the deck is so narrow to begin with, you shouldn't have much problems with it scalping. Just pay attention to the contour of the ground, and you'll be okay. If you're going with a 48" deck, I would seriously consider a floating-deck Metro HP or Turf Tracer HP. Some people have trouble with the 48" fixed-deck, but most experienced operators understand where they can and cannot cut and will learn how to get around these problem areas. Some die hard fixed-deck fans even request that we come out with a 52" Metro.

Around the trees and chain link fences, you're going to love the ECS controls. They're also great if you're using a stand-on sulky. On the hills, some people like the pistol grips, while others like the ECS controls. It depends upon what you are used to. I like the ECS controls, so I would recommend them. I would encourage you to try both out if possible and see what you think.

Finally, the Viking is a good entry-level hydro. I would go with the 36" unit. If you have a lot of narrow gates to go through, I would consider the 32" Viking. The MSRP on the 32" is $3799. On the 36", it's $4,099, and the 48" is $4299. All of those units have the ECS controls on them, and they all have 15-hp engines on them.

Hope this helps,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support