need help starting in PA

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mnb, Dec 21, 2005.

1. mnb

mnb LawnSite Member

Hi, great site, does anyone have any information on starting a lawn care business in PA.
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

your question is a little broad, any specifics? like tax info? creating a business name in pa? or equipment, or getting customers? where are ya from anyway?

3. mnb

mnb LawnSite Member

any information on sales tax, do you need any specific license to have a lawn care business. I'm from Gettysburg.

4. mnb

mnb LawnSite Member

what and when do you start advertising to get new customers? What part of PA are you from?
    Thanks,
    Matt

5. DeereHauler

if you are owning your business alone, you can use your social security number for income taxes. more than one owner, or having employees is more complicated. to keep it legal when you have help, you need a ein (employer id number?), and workmans comp, so i suggest staying solo, i am.

you don't need to worry about sales tax on a mowing service, i don't.

no license that i know of for mowing, but spraying, and hauling chemicals/fertilizers is a different story.

i have never advertised, only word of mouth, and referrals. but i have a phone book ad going in april 1st. local book is $1600 for just a year, so i'm a little hesitant, we'll see how it goes. you really wanna advertise before people are in need of a service, but only when they're thinking about it. right now they don't care about lawncare, so it would be in one ear, out the other.

early spring, before mowing starts would be a good time to maybe make some flyers. you can also get signs on a truck or trailer, thats my next move to expand.

if you don't have much expeirence then it might not be a good idea to get in too deep. a lot of advertising can be good, but can be bad. if you get a good response, but can't make every one happy you can start a bad name real quick.

good luck though, and i'm from lewisburg, north on RT 15 above harrisburg.
    i'll check back if you have any questions.

6. mnb

mnb LawnSite Member

thanks for all the info, one question, do you need workmans comp. if you are solo? Thanks again

7. mp067

mp067 LawnSite Member

another pa solo here, i don t have worker s comp. but i believe if you have any employees you have to get it. i also use my ss# for my ein number. i have been cutting lawns part time for about 5 years with a full time job from 4-midnight, so i got started small and have been gradually building up a customer base. i advertised this past spring in the local newspaper for lawn service and got a decent response. i also did the flyers in one particular neighborhood i was trying to get into about 30 homes. i got 2 customers out of it. turns out most home owners in that neighborhood perfer to cut and work on their own lawns themselves. i believe advertising, signage on your truck, looking professional with truck and equipment goes a long way.

8. cuttin_fo_noodles

cuttin_fo_noodles LawnSite Member

this is my first post in this old thread...but i am also goingt o be trying my hands at the lawncare business.
    i will check back in to see what everyone is talking about and ask soem more questions later...until then, thanks this seems like a really good place to start my new venture!
    jack

9. DeereHauler

no, but you better have good insurance, liability, health, and equipment/auto.....

i have $500,000 covered for liability.