need help-starting lawn business

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Lawn Star, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Lawn Star

Lawn Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hi guys, any help would be much appreciated. I lost my job and want to get started in the lawn business. Since my old job is still paying me a portion for the next 6 months, i have a little money and plenty of time to get started. I am also being given 10 accounts by the neighbors lawnguy who has quit the business. I already have equipment. What i was wondering is...what business license do i need? Steps to take for a business name? Insurance? And what do i need to know to keep my taxes legal? Must keep uncle Sam happy. I dont want to get in trouble with the IRS later down the line. Thanks for your time its greatly appreciated.

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeez. Heard this story before.

Not to be discouraging.... I was actually gonna post something sarcastic but then it dawned on me: I know a guy selling his lawn biz for 30k. All accounts and equipment, all you do is add the truck. Grosses $7500/month. He got another full time job and cannot do both, so he us selling his biz..

That's about the only way to succeed right now is something turn key, cause starting from scratch ain't gonna do it..
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Just another Lawn Guy

Your Screen Name really says it all. How many times have I posted about Northern Loser who can't hold a real job and come to Florida. They sponge off of Grandma while rolling Grandpa's Crapsman out of the garage and are now expert landscapers.

I sorry but buying a existing Business can be a real bad move for someone without years of Experience. It doesn't long for everything to go south before the Learning curve kicks in.

In My Humble Opinion I feel discouraging someone from making a Big Mistake is the best thing for them. There are more Grass Cutter than Lawns in Florida right now because our unemployment rate is above the national average. This is not a good time to go into a business you have little or no experience in.

8. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear you. I met a guy who sold his business to someone and within 2 years the guy ran the business in the ground.

Not to mention most guys who try and sell their business never get anything for it.

You could give a noob all the equipment to run a biz along with 75 monthly paying customers, doesn't mean he is gonna know how to manage them!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Just

I am not saying it doesn't happen in other business because it does. But it blows my mind that People in Other states basically buy their Pesticide license from a Cracker Jack Box and then come to Lawnsite asking What do I Use? When people ask for advice about going into any business, I tell them work for some who has a up and going concern and learn the Business first. Pragmatic advice to say the least. I am sure you know type that has a different Money making scheme each time you see them.These are dreamer who will never make it.

BTW I got a phone call saying a really pounded this poor Thread starter. I hope I pounded him more than enough to see the Light.

10. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Man where do northern guy's find them crackerjack boxes? hahahahahaha. Guys start lawn care comps everyday and some will make it. Some that make it wont know a thing when they start. But people move to cali everyday to become stars. Some make it and dont know a thing. But the vast majority get out there with 110* index in the shade, see they only got 5-10 houses and no money, and fall on their face. Hell guy's that know what there doing fail. The real question is how long can you afford to be poor before you make it. And when I say make it, I mean before you got 20 houses and the business is paying for it's own gas. I aint saying dont cut grass. But at least do it on the side nd find a job. You can do 10 houses in a day or the weekend wors case. Only 2 types of succesfull maint comps, lucky ones, and the ones that put in their time and hunger pains