Need help starting up in Kenosha Wisconsin!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kisner87, Jan 19, 2008.

1. kisner87

kisner87 LawnSite Member

Hey everybody,
    I am trying to start up a lawn care buisness in Kenosha Wisconsin. I am looking to own and operate it by myself no other employees. I am only looking to do it on a part time basis. I work as an EMT paramedic as my full time job, which is nice I work two days a week and have five off. So I am looking to pick up a couple of jobs maybe around 20 or 30. that is in the long run. I am just looking as to what type of permits and licenses I am going to be needing to get so that I can do this leagally. And the other question is, how to go about getting them. So if you fine people Would be able to lend me a hand that would be wonderfull. Thanks agean.

2. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

First off, let me start off with the fact that it snows, and your a EMT, so I'm sure your schedule consists of 24 hour shifts. So becareful with what kind of contracts you take on. Commercial contracts are going to want you to perform winter services as they are happening. However, the residential market is in a labor shortfall, so I think your most likely in a good position to start out with that.
    As far as permits, get a tax id, employer i.d, and stop at the local town hall or city hall and find out if there are any permits required for operating a business of your type.
    Figure your costs of all your equipment you will need, look for commercial insurance (go with million dollar liability coverage), Advertise heavy in Late march, put coupons and flyers out where ever there are business card boards in your area. Hit up the senior citezens.

I can't think of much else. Don't be afraid to undercut the current competition in your area, remember, you can just cuz your new and don't have workmans comp.
    Good Luck man and don't let the competition scare you, its only as hard as you make it, if you love what you do, its like a vacation in your own neighborhood.

Feel free to contact me on here

3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i would agree with 99% of the above info....

just be careful not to undercut your prices too much....you may not have workers comp... but the big lcos have reduced costs in other areas...

1 yard of much costs you X

2000 yards of mulch costs a big lco X-Y

and don't overextend yourself or both your jobs will suffer... a bad cut is bad but it grows back..

a bad trache won't

Nate