Need Help...Stihl, FS90 R OR FS110 R

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southside Lawn Services, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Southside Lawn Services

Southside Lawn Services LawnSite Member

My 3 year old FS 90R died today. I need to replace it in the morning. Do I get the 90 or the 110. I use the attachments, so these are my 2 options. There's only a $30.00 price difference between the two.

Mike

2. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

What happened to the 90? Both are about the same, one just has a bit more power. I used to work at a Stihl certified dealer. We always had problems with 4 mix's The coil would go out after time, usually in about 2-3 years from purchase date. It will get spark, but not at the correct time. WHat problem does your trimmer actually have?

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Neither because in those 3 years you've likely outgrown these puny devices, so get the 130.

4. George Mason

George Mason LawnSite Member

That stinks, to buy the hometown brand and have it quit after three years. (Stihl NA is produced in the 757 - otherwise known as VA Beach - all of their products if I am not mistaken, not sure though)

I have the same model, only 6 months old. I would stick with the 90 unless you need something heavier. I have an Echo brush cutter that I have used one time since purchasing my FS90, and that was for trimming brush off a drain-field that had become overgrown with young poplars. If you liked you FS90 and want to stick with Stihl go for it. Do you all get them cheaper down there, like an outlet at the factory?

434 VA

5. http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/professional.htmlWhy don't you try Stihl's
    interactive product selector.

6. http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/professional.html

7. Sorry, I tries twice to post it as a link, but it ain't happening.

8. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

as i understand it, though the 110 has a larger engine, the 90 has a beefier gear box, so if you're looking to swap out the head with other attachments (edger, hedge trimmer, etc) the 90 is the way to go.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

90 and 110 should have the same drivelines but the rx100 is the one with the hollow shaft and light duty gearbox and clutch.

10. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

thought they had a life time warrenty on ingition parts ?