Need Help! Stuck on what to do - Flower Bed Maintenance

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by joshlawn, Mar 15, 2008.

1. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

One of my clients wants all of his beds around the building revamped for Spring (wants estimate next week). I planned on just adding flowers (that matched the company colors) and red mulch to most of the beds, however the client wants something extra special in the back beds along the drive through. He's not sure what, just something to Wow his Boss. My forte' is usually lawn/bed maintenance, not design or otherwise, but I don't want to let this client down. Aside from looking in magazines or driving around looking for ideas to copy, I have no idea of what I should add to the beds around the drive through. Rocks? Bushes?

Added a few pics to give you an idea of what I'm working with here. Anyone have any good suggestions? Client says If I do well with this project, I'll get more of these stores to add to the contract. Wouldn't that be nice.

Regards,

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

2. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

One of things I would consider is that you don't want to plant anything too large that someone could hide behind. With that rear entry door it would be a haven for some thief to hide. The tendency might be to screen that building/ power boxes/ etc from the view of the drive thru...but I would advise against it.

Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough to provide advise about plantings. I am not a fan of red mulch myself. Maybe the darker brown mulch.

3. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Speaking from a police view, I agree with Firescooby, a definate hazard. maybe place a couple of boulders and smaller shurbs with lots of color.

4. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

Ya, don't want to get anybody robbed. I'll stick with low cover.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

spray paint and plywood, make a pretty backdrop, haha. jsut had to be stupid this one time. sorry

6. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

If you go with shrubs go with ones that are 1'-2' tall and ones that have color and texture. You also want shrubs that are low maintenance.