Need Help- Sure this is a often discussed topic.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rixfishin, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Rixfishin

Rixfishin LawnSite Member

I have been in the lawn care landscaping business for about 3 months. I have acquired equipment that I'm sure most of you would not purchase, but just starting out you have to be sensible in equipment purchases. I have 17 customers so far and sure I can add more come spring time. I have 2 push mowers... one is a a21" MTD I purchased from Lowes, the other is a 22" Toro I got from my Dad... it's an old model. Actually is a 50 to 1 mix mower. I need to get a real commercial walk behind but don't need anything bigger than 30" with the customer base I have to this point. I need to know what you guys recommend. What brand, cut and cost... any help would be greatly appreciated. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and also have a safe and Happy New Year!!:cool2:

2. I would go with a 32" or 36" ferris hydrocut. The main reason is bc you can get 3 yr. 0% interest. You have to make equal monthly payments, but with 17 customers that should be no issue. It gives you a brand new reliable machine with a 2 yr warranty and for what youhave would be perfect. Plus it has a single hydro which beats the hell out of belt. That would be my choice....
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. lawnman24949

lawnman24949 LawnSite Member

5. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

The ferris is only a single hydro so, beware of that. Not great reviews. if going hydro I would look for a real hydro = dual. And a stander since no walking required. Otherwise, Exmark makes the best WB mowers. Get the best mower for the least price. I guess that means craigslist or opt for 0% financing. They all offer it. From my research, the Ferris single hydro is not appealing. Do a search on this site. Toro makes a 30" and 36 " grandstand. 17 accounts that's what I would do. But, a WB may be cheaper than a stander. Howerver, I recently picked up a 36" Toro Grandstand 2010 w/ 60 hrs for $3000. Meaning, deals are there if you are patient.

6. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

With 17 customers, depending on how big the yards are, you should stick with the push mowers until you build a bigger customer base. When I started out, we used push mowers for the first 2 years until we had built a customer base of over 60 lawns. And we saved our $ so we could buy the mower outright and not make payments. IMO the biggest mistake people make when starting out is focusing on equipment, and not gaining customers, growing, and becoming profitable. That's the point of being in business, making $$. Not acquiring equipment.

8. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris has both single and double in the 36

9. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 36 and love it!! Would have gone for the dd but the extra weight would get in my way!

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you might could try one of these. they have 32", 36", or 44" and the cost isn't too bad. they have single and dual hydro models.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/