1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help to ID grass type

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bmax, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bmax

bmax LawnSite Member

Need Help to ID grass type

I need some assistance in identifying grass in picture. The grass goes dormant/brown in the winter (Atlanta, GA area), has active shoots/runners during growing season and gets a purple tint to some of the blades in the Fall. It is thick, crowds out everything around it and has a soft, almost sponge-like feel when walking on it. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

can't see pic. Scroll down and use "manage attachments" to add pics. Use browse to find and click them on your computer.

3. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you have Zoysia which not many yards around here do, then what you have is Bermuda.

4. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

ha, sounds like crabgrass...but yeah it is probably bermuda

5. Andy31

Andy31 LawnSite Member

Well since I was using the search function and the OP never posted a pic I will. I am trying to identify this grass I am leaning towards Zoysia but I would not be surprised if it were a variety of bermuda.
    Could help me identify this grass and if it is Zoysia, is it Emerald or can you tell the variety when it is dormant?

Thanks in advance,
    and if you must rag on me I can take that too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

It looks like common, mid iron or tifton 10 bermuda to me.

7. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

My first gut thought looking at pic is Bermuda. I do need to freshen up on my warm season grasses since I have a turf bowl coming up. Hope you get it figured out!

8. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Turf the guy that posted the pic has the same avitar as you and I did not read his name.....I thought it was you until I read your response below his...I was cracking up because I was thinking how the hell does Turf not know what Bermuda looks like. :confused:

9. Andy31

Andy31 LawnSite Member

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

There is probably 40-50 varieties of Bermuda. Some are very similar and some very different than others. I have had people ask me before what the weed was in their lawn that they could not get rid of and I had to tell them it was Bermuda, then they say "well I thought that was the Bermuda" and I tell them it is, they are both Bermuda grass but look like chit when some two varieties are mixed together.

All the Bermuda will have Rhizomes and Stolons but the leaf blades will vary some. The Zoysia will have Rhizomes and Stolons but have a wider leaf blade that does not branch as much [more like St Augustine].