Need help to ID some shrubs...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by the undergraduate, Dec 1, 2006.

1. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

i was just on their site. I've used it quite a bit. It's sort of modeled after Dirr's manual of woody landscape plants.
  3. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ilex crenata Japanese Holly...just probably compacta, helleri grows lower and more also has black vine weevil...check out the notching on the leaf margins

Ilex glabra or inkberry for the second

just plain redleafed barberry Berberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea for the third. Crimson pygmy grows like a bushel basket...not such plant as Berberis japonica for a plant ID...Japanese barberry is a common name for Berberis thunbergii
  4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

59/58 - looks to me like Osmanthus Delavayi - (it also looks like someone may need to sharpen their hedging shears :nono: )

56- I know what it is - the name escapes me at this moment.

54 - I would argree with the previoius posters that it is berberis thunbergii - crimson pygmy.
  5. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

my bad. i was scrolling through pictures in Horticopia & they have it listed as berberis japonica.
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

From a distance, with autumn color that Berberis almost looked like a sheared blueberry plant.

Both have some good color.

I'm a pygmy barberry fan myself.
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yup. I agree. Just couldn't remember how to spell it. lol
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

yaupon holly.
  9. the undergraduate

the undergraduate LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all the info, from what I have learned here from your suggestions and a little more research...

#1 is Japanese Holly (Helleri, I think)

#2 is Japanese Ternstroemia (Cleyera)

#3 is a Barberry (Don't know which kind, although it does look like Golden Mound to me)

By the way, I'm not the guy that's been butchering these plants... the only thing I've done is take pictures for an estimate. Anyway, thanks for all your help.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the last one is firepower nandina.... definately.