1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help to identify this shrub

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dg0123, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dg0123

dg0123 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

2. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

don't quote me on this, but it looks like a pittosporum..hard to tell from the pic
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I am going to say they are Ilex glabra, so you would be correct in guessing Inkberry.:waving:
  4. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I don't know what it is but it doesn't look that healthy. The first one looks like it may have an iron or manganese deficiency, I would say iron. Do you have alkaline soil? I would take it to the nursery and ask them. If it is planted near a sidewalk and is an acid loving plant that wouldn't help the deficiency problem either. Try a fertilizer with chelated iron -EDTA, it will say that on the bag, if the soil is alkaline. Also the plant looks like it may have opposite leaves, if you think it is a certain plant see if that plant has opposite leaves. If they are alternate leaves, they alternate on the stem, not two across from each other like the opposite would have. Also the fact that they may like acidic soil may be a clue.

I looked up Ilex glabra, it looks like that could be it. The leaves on that are alternate though, but it is hard to tell what they are in the picture. It does like acidic soil though.
  5. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I think we have some good guesses so far. My first thought was Ilex glabra (gallberry or inkberry), but I've never seen one that looked so bad. I HAVE, however, seen some awful looking Pittosporums. And good point by Landscape25 about the leaf arrangement being an important clue. I zoomed in on the pic, and I think I detect an alternate arrangement. That would NOT eliminate either Ilex glabra or Pittosporum. Both of those have alternate arrangements. It's gonna be pretty hard to tell for sure without a really crisp picture. I think you ought to investigate these 2 species and see if you come up with a match.
  6. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I don't know if I can take full credit, someone may have mentioned that or something like that in some post somewhere, maybe not here. I have taken plant i.d. though, just might not have thought to mention it in a thread. What is the specific epithet on the Pittosporum. We have some down here, P. tobira and another one that makes a good small tree apparently. There may be one more. Interestingly the Ilex glabra does grow here and is native, the book says it is called Gallberry or Inkberry. This book also says that it can take slightly alkaline soil as well as acidic soil and that the leaves are yellow in fall in Northern Florida, so that may be the case in NC too. Although that yellowing does not look like fall color to me. I like plant i.d. bring them on.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Gee I am just not getting the pic whaat am I doing wrong?
  8. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Honey, ya gotta turn your computer on first:dancing:
  9. dg0123

dg0123 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Thanks for all the great information thus far.
  10. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Myrica cerifera

Check the leaves and see if there is stippliling...it looks like the individual cells have been sucked out of green chlorophyll. That would be a sign of lacebug. If there is some webby residue and it looks like there is sandy residue, probably spider mites.

Full sun, poor soil, stressed conditions from heat reflected off the building all lead to these insect problems.