Need help trimming tree

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by slabbernoob, Jul 10, 2008.

1. slabbernoob

slabbernoob LawnSite Member

I have a tree that has about a 6" diameter trunk that is in a corner of my house between a house wall and my back porch. On another side is my garage, and on the remaining side is a power line (right next to the tree) and my neighbor's house. The part of the tree that's causing trouble is a trunked section that is growing so close to my house that it's actually against my the side of my roof. It is also leaning in that direction. I would like to cut this part of it off, but how would I go about it? It would need to fall at about a 90 degree angle to the direction it is leaning.

I was thinking of tying a rope to it and having someone pull it in the desire falling direction, and I would cut a notch in the trunk facing the direction I want it to fall. Plus, this would be done above the power line so the trunk would fall "over" it.

I've never done anything like this before. Does anyone have some "expert advice" about this?
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Wow, what a hard thing to try to tell you in words. Begin by limbing the tree (Cutting off any and all limbs) This will lighten the load and let you drop the sections more accurately. You will need some sort of ladder for this. A 6" diameter tree is really small. You will need a chain saw. You just might be able to limb the tree with a pruning saw. Go on the roof and do as much as you can. After you limb the tree, check diameter of the top. Have someone to pull as you cut. Only cut maybe a 3" trunk portion in the direction you want it to fall. Only cut on that side and take out a notch. Have the puller to pull this part and I don't think a little three inch section of top will hurt anything even if it were to land on your house. After he pull and the section is going in the right direction, make a light cut on opposite side of notch. This is backwards to falling a large tree. The remaining trunk section will let the top ease forwards and then you can cut it off and lower it to the ground by rope (1/2" or better) . I've take off limbs that are 8-10" from large Oak Trees this way. After you have the top out of the tree, you can begin to cut off small 1-2' sections and letting them drop to ground or if you have the room just fall the tree in the right direction with a large V notch on the "To Fall" direction and then a straight cut below the V notch that you see in movies. Stand clear.
    I personally feel that you just need to remove the tree. The root system will destroy your house foundation and even crack the walls.
    Most experts say that a large growing trees should be no closer than 20' from a structure.
  3. slabbernoob

slabbernoob LawnSite Member

Actually, I think you're right about just having the whole tree taken out. I don't think I would be able to do all the things you described. I'm not good when it comes to getting up on ladders, although I might have been willing just to get up on the roof. Yesterday, I called a tree removal contractor and he came out and looked at it. He said he'd charge $50 to remove the trunk portion that is touching the roof, and $100 to take out the whole tree. I went with option #2.

And you're right about the roots possibly causing damage too. The tree is extremely close to the foundation. I'm surprised it hasn't done alot of damage already. Best to get it out of there before it does start causing damage, I guess.