Need help understanding the leaf removal business...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jim d., Oct 7, 2005.

1. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Okay, I've lived in apartments all my life until recently and have only just discovered the joys of grass cutting (and the grass cutting business) this summer.

I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to go about removing the leaves themselves, but I'm puzzled about the dynamics of it from the customer's standpoint. What is the benefit to the customer to having their leaves removed; how often do they want it done; and why are they willing to pay two to three times as much to have that done as to have their lawns mowed?

I'm also wondering how thorough one should be about the leaves themselves. Do you try to pick up every last one, including around the house, fences, etc., or do you do just sort of a rough pick-up that gets almost all but leaves a few here and there?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the search button and you will find a lot of reading about leaves.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'll reply since we took the day off cause of the rain...but where the heck is it. I hate weather forecasters! Sorry :cry:

Benefits are really quite simple. Leaves left on the lawn too long will matt the grass and eventually damage/kill it. Leaves can also aid in fungus/disease if left around the base of shrubs in the landscape. Most are willing to pay good coin for leaf removal cause they attempted to do it on their own and are in the hospital with back problems after a few hours and only 1/2 their lawn done.

Not sure what you mean by thorough??? Meaning do we get every last leaf on the property. Well, yes and no. No if it is real early in the season and their are still plenty of leaves on the trees. We save the 'thorough' cleanup for the last cleanup. Attempted to have no leaves around for the winter time and when we show back up in the spring. Although thats next to impossible...especially if the neighbors don't care to much about leaf cleanup and its a windy season.

4. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

DLS1, I tried that and got nowhere fast. I searched "leaf", "leaves", "leaf removal", etc. All I got for my trouble was a bunch of threads I had to wade through in which leaves were mentioned only incidentally and precious little of the info I wanted was to be found. I thought it would be much quicker and the information more substantial if I just asked people who know.

Thanks for the info, LB1234. That's along the line of what I'm looking for.