Need help w/ a Turf Tracer.....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sbcamp1, Apr 22, 2006.

1. sbcamp1

sbcamp1 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for some advice on my Turf Tracer. I have not been able to get it to fire so far this season and was wondering if someone might be able to give me some ideas. It has a 14.5hp Kawasaki (FC420v) and am not getting any fire when pulling. I have checked the plug, made sure that the fuel is flowing and all appears okay. When I try and start with choke it sounded like it might catch and go, but then nothing.

When I tried with the choke off it gave me one big backfire and then nothing. I have even tried shooting some ether in the carb to see if I would get any kind of life, and still nothing.

If anyone could drop me a line I would appreicate the help. It has been a long time since I have been on lawnsite and I have missed the advice and discussions that I used to have. I have not been back on since I learned of ELM no longer being with us. For the older crowd you will know who I speak of. He helped me out immensly and I was saddened to the point where I did not come back for some time.

I am back once again, and looking for the professional advice and help that one can get on LS.

Thanks for any help/advice that you can offer.

Scott

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well Scott, If you are getting fuel flow and the engine feels as it has ample compression when pulling over, Remove the plug and short it to ground then check for a good blue spark.

3. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Same exact problem. I pulled my carb off of my MV18 kohler and cleaned the carb. Still doesn't start. I'm thinking a carb rebuild here. Both mine and yours sbcamp1.

4. sbcamp1

sbcamp1 LawnSite Member

I did what you suggested, and I did not see any spark. Should I go ahead and replace the plug, even though it didn't look bad to me, anyway or is there another area that I need to look at.

Thanks again for the help.

Scott

5. sbcamp1

sbcamp1 LawnSite Member

Could be a fouled carb, I was wondering about that myself. I knew someone out in LS land would have the same problem.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you seen no spark try a new plug, If still no spark disconnect the ground lead coming out of the blower housing (should be a black wire) and check again. If you do have spark with the wire disconnected you need to start checking all safety switches on the unit. If with the wire disconnected you still have no spark you will need to perform the ignition system components test below to find the defective part.

Kaw FC Ignition Test.JPG

7. sbcamp1

sbcamp1 LawnSite Member

Thanks Restrorob I will start running down the items and see what I can find out. I will be back with my results soon. Paradise you may want to try this out as well if you are still having problems.

Thanks again for the help........
    Scott

8. sbcamp1

sbcamp1 LawnSite Member

Sorry for the delay in responding back guy's, Restrorob was right on. I had good spark when I disconnected the ground wire that he spoke of. I then went to the safety switches. One of them evidently had moved out of position or was out of sync. I took all three off to check their continuity and after I put them back on she fired up like a champ.

Thanks again for the help, it is good to have all the equipment going again.

Scott