need help w/ bid (16 yards of mulch)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gstros2, Mar 24, 2008.

1. gstros2

gstros2 LawnSite Member

a gentleman just called me and said he wanted me to look at his bank that needs a fresh coat of mulch installed, the hillside/bank is on a 45 degree angle he claims and takes about 16 yards of single shred mulch. With two other people working what would your bid be? I was thinking somewhere in the 1,000-1,200 range. please help. Thanks!

2. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

That bid would be ok if it were a flat area, but I think that bid would be low if the whole thing is on a hill. The first thing you need to do is take a look and see how big the hill is and whether you have to cart the mulch to the top by hand or if you can drive the loads up there. If you don't have good access to the top, that's going to be a lot of additional labor cost.

3. gstros2

gstros2 LawnSite Member

I know the area the guy lives in and my guess is I will have to cart the mulch by hand, so what would be your rough estimate?

4. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

$1,800+, but it depends what you are paying for the mulch, how far you have to deliver, and the terrain you're laying it in.

Good Luck.

5. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

Sub it to a mulch blowing company and make some money off the top......If you want to do the job, your price is in line, but I would get some more if you are doing it with a wheel barrow for degree of difficulty.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You can try 1000 but that customer will likely crap his pants.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I second the mulch blowing. I get mulch blown for around 40 a yard and that includes the mulch.I'd apply much @ 60 a yard. so just for pushing paper i'd make 300 bucks... if you have to push a wheel barrow up a hills side. I'd just go ahead and get in 3cuft bags....much easier to put a bag on each shoulder than try to push a wheel barrow up and down a hill. a mulch blower will have it down in about 2 hours..., or you could spend all day with 2 guys.... all depend on how much you want in your pocket at the end of day. Id be happy making 300 bucks just for being a paper pusher, while working a few other jobs...Remeber work smarter, not harder...if it was a great customer or longtime customer i'd even consider throwing them bone and giving them the mulch blowing contact phone number...

8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

16 yards of mulch, pruning all plants (if needed, and edge all beds):

$1759.84 exactly...

...as long as you have the exact same overhead as I do you'll be just fine. If your overhead is less, which I'd assume it is, you'll be over-bidding, but the customer doesn't know your costs and now he doesn't know you can't bid a mulch job either.

The only problem is...what did you learn?

How about doing the measurements and math, figuring out your own overhead, and bidding the job like you know how to. If you don't know what it costs you to be there, how can you know what to charge the customer for your time?

9. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

10. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would come in around 1650 that would include his mulch Hardwood that is. If he wants red or cypress that is more. I would edge his beds and put in Snapshot. I would hump that mulch to the top of the hill. That 45 degree hill is no hill for a mountain climber.:cool2:

RCGM
    Brad