Need Help w/Biz Name Change

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DMAN, Apr 1, 2002.

1. DMAN

DMAN LawnSite Member

I am in the process of changing the biz name from my last name(Morris Landscapes-solo-operator) to the name of Pro Scapes Landscape Management. I have been in biz for 4 years now with me trying to narrow down the type of clients that i want (full service types )in the newer subdivisions instead of dealing with mostly the mow blow and go customers that i have now. I want to portray a professional image as i have a degree in horticulture and was figuring that this type of change(new logo and name ) is something that would show that image. I have been servicing clients that i purchased from another lco for two years now(no problems), 40% i want to keep with a direct mail piece sent out already to these new subdivisions. I was wondering if this is a good move with me kind of "starting out again".My name isn't really reconized yet and i want to try to grow the buisness now. Also how should i word a letter to the exsisting customers about the change making it not sound like something is wrong(bankrupt,debt issues)?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated in response to the name change or otherwise. Thanks.

Dman

2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

I personally think that the change is a good move. To existing customers that you are keeping, I would drop them a letter in the next invoice with the new logo on the top and a small (7 font) phrase underneath, Formerly Morris Landscape. I would explain that as you are growing that it is time for a more Professional Image and that a change in name is important, yada yada.....
    I would stress that "We will provide our existing services with the quality you know and deserve. As we grow with our education, we can not offer additional services with the quality you would expect...yada, yada..

I would not stress. this should be a good thing if positioned. Most people like to help businesses grow....

Good Luck@!!

jf

3. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Pro Scapes Landscape Management. I like it. I also like the old name.

4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

We are changing our name as well.
    Yesterday I was at the county ag office and the agent mistakenly thought I was associated with The Lawn Doctor Inc.
    Wow what a mistake. I am not and do not want to be associated with such a company so hence the name change.

Formally known as the Lawn Doctor we will now be known as Blevins Lawn and Landscape.
    What do you think?

5. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I think a name change is a great idea. I am currently getting my degree in horticulture and going to get my application license when I get done. I am currently thinking up a name like you have, something Landscape Managment. I just want my name to be more broad. My current name is Exquisite Lawn Services and that sounds like I just cut grass. Besides starting over is always fun.