need help w/ fert program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cutbetterthanyou, Jan 4, 2008.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I am currenttly bidding a job that the owners want 2 ferts spring and fall, crabgrass preventer, broadleaf controll, and fall overseeding.

I was thinking of dimenson w/ fert in the spring, overseeding in the fall. I am not sure of when i should do the broadleaf. If i do it in the spring will this open up to many bare spot for weeds to take growth? I know the dimenson will take care of some, but will it all year? Plus the fact of it just lookin funny with a bunch of bare spots. If i do it in the fall i am not so sure about useing the broadleaf right before overseeding. Maybe broadleaf in like aug/sept and overseed in like oct

With only doing 2 ferts what n-p-k would you you guys recomend and when?

2. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

I would do a broadleaf control application in both spring and fall. However, if you can only do it once, I would do it in the spring.

3. cutbetterthanyou

what do you think as far as the fert npk and date

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

If you take that job, the best thing you can do, is to warn this customer that the results you'll be able to deliver whilst being handcuffed like that (only being able to do 2 applications per year), will be marginal at best. It sounds like this guy wants the world for the price of a neighborhood. Your options would be extremely limited if you agreed to that arrangement friend.

Weed control will be limited at best if you can only treat the lawn twice per year. What about insect control? You won't be able to protect against them, or rescue the lawn if that becomes necessary. There are other ancillary considerations that make a 2-step program a losing battle as well.

The best advice I can give you, is to walk away from that job. :walking: Getting into a fight you can't win is never a good idea.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

How big is the area you are talking about?

6. cutbetterthanyou

4 acres of grass

7. cutbetterthanyou

I know that it will not give good results, but i hope to get the job then upsell to them once it starts to look like crap. I think i am going to try to at least t get three apps in the contract
    Here is what i came up with

dimesion w/ 13-2-5 spring
    18-24-12 starter and overseed at this time
    36-0-12 winter

What do you think

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

How are you planning to overseed the area?

This is a tough one! With only two apps you are limited!

As Victor said, you will want to be upfront with them and let them know that they are going to only get what they want to pay for. If they skimp, the lawn isn't going to look the best!

What about skipping the Pre and seeding in the spring? Isn't the best time to seed (as fall is) but it is the second best time! If the grass can germ pretty quick, it will help fight crab, or you could do a post crab app (but price in accordingly).

I would make sure and put a starter down with the seed and that will help with one of the fert apps also!

Early spring - Seed in the spring and use starter
    Early summer - Spray for broadleaves and fert
    Fall - Spray for broadleaves and fert

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Is it bluegrass? Tall fescue? Irrigated?
    I would prefer fert in spring, summer and combined with the overseeding in fall.
    Include Dimension in spring, weed control in May.

Is it hot where you are, LOL. Then, put you first two applications down before it gets much above 85. Try to do the fall seeding and fert when temp comes down below 85.

10. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have to be licensed in your state to apply fertilizer? If you do, get the license before the fert.(if you are not already)