Need Help w/First Commercial Bid!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Feb 9, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I've been in the residential end of business for several years as a part-timer. This year I decided to go full time and try to pick up some commercial accounts. I have my first bid now, but have no clue where to start. I will most likely search the forums all night, but for the time-being I was hoping to get some input from you.

The property is a hospital as well as a seperate Dr.'s office adjacent to the hospital. They asked for the bids to be seperate.

Hospital Info:

4,500 feet of edging

5 - 1k islands in the parking lot

50k of open mowing(can all be done with my 61" ZTR) of which 3k will be over seeded for winter

150' of 3ft hedges

1,450 sq ft of beds w/just hedges and ground cover

160 sq. ft of beds that they want to have color in year round(these are 3 seperate beds that equal the 160)

Dr.'s Office info:

150' of edging

18,600 sq ft of mowing of which 3,500 of it will be over seeded for winter

I'd appreciate any help with this bid, sicne it is my first.

-Brandon

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Hospital: $175-$220 for mowing
    Hedges $425 per time disposal included 150'
    other beds with ground cover. unknown dont know how may shrubs but shot in the dark would be 375.00 per time.
    Bedding maintenance $50 per week. per-emergent, hand weed etc.
    seasonal up date $450-600
    mulch 6yds 300.00
    broadcast over seed $45 per 1000k

Dr. office
    $70 per mow

3. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

How should I approach a job like this as far as number of mowings go and billing? With some of it being over seeded it would need to be done weekly no matter what. Should I figure in cost of mowing x 52, Hedges x 2 or 3, seasonal color x 2 or 3, then dcivide it all by 12 months?

I'll try to post some pics...

Front of Hospital Beds

trinity medical front center bed.jpg

4. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Here's another bed to the left of the building

trinity medical front center left bed.jpg

5. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Here's the bed to the right of the entrance

trinity medical front center right bed.jpg

6. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Here's a bed with hedges and ground covering

trinity medical er bed w-hedges & covering.jpg

7. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

One last bed with just ground covering

trinity medical right bed w-covering.jpg

8. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Here's a pic of the Dr's office. There's a 15k lot next to it that isn't in the pic.

trinity medical dr. office.jpg

9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Way to go Brandon! First I'd say that what J Hisch offered is pretty good.

If it were me I'd just time everything (each section) and run the visits out over the year and add all the extras or list them seperately (like mulch and suck).

But the most important thing is TO ASK THE CUSTOMER! When in doubt ASK. I guarentee that your competion will not ask. Most customers are shocked when someone actually asks them what they like and how they want it done- so ask them what they specify and/or what they've disliked in the past.

Some times I've lost bid because some of my competitors gave two quotes: one with everything seperated out and specified. Another with everything rolled into one nice neat price. You may consider this if the customer is not specific.

If you don't get it, waite a couple of weeks after they other company gets going and contact them again. Ask 'Why' the other company got it and you didn't. Don't get defensive with them even if they do. Just come across like you really want to know why they picked somebody else. THIS IS VALUABLE INFO!

Cordially,
    Sheppard

10. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I was told by the lady today that it didn't matter how the bid was done. All she wanted was for the Dr.'s office and hospital to be bid seperately since they had seperate budgets. I mentioned that I would like to do 1 bid for everything rather than a seperate bid for beds, mowing, etc... I would think that if I was to throw everything together and divide it monthly that would be easier on them and myself. This way they will get an invoice monthly that is the same no matter if I just mowed for the month, if I trimmed hedges, or updated beds.

-Brandon