Need help w/new mower purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 3neuby51204, Jun 15, 2005.

1. 3neuby51204

3neuby51204 LawnSite Member

I've narrowed my search down to these three mowers, and would like any input you guys could give me between them! Kubota ZG20 48" $5,900/ Toro Z400 48" $5,200/ or Ferris IS 1500 48" $5,400. The quality of the cut/stripe is one of the most important things to me, but the few yards I do are two acres or less and pretty bumpy so I guess the ride quality is pretty important to me as well. The Kubota looks like a pretty decent unit, but I question the deck construction compared to the other two. The Toro seems nice as well, but the dealer said the single cylinder motor puts off some pretty fierce vibration and is trying to sell me on the Z440 (no doubt the 440 is a nice machine, just more than I want to spend). I am leaning towards the Ferris right now, it seems like a real solid unit, but I just haven't heard much about them. Maybe some of you guys here that own these could help me out! Thanks in advance for any info

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick with toro for sure.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Of those you listed, I lean towards the Kubota ZG20 and like the ZG23 even more.

Don't worry about that deck. It's just as strong as the other two. The only difference is in how it was created.

4. 3neuby51204

I went to badboymowers.com but they didn't have any info on the mini z yet. Envy, can you recall who makes the motors in the zg20/23, the paperwork I have doesn't say? Do you think the 3 extra hp of the 23 makes a big difference? The Kubotas blade speed is 15800, am I incorrect in thinking that seems a touch slow? From what I've gathered at this site, it seems that a higher blade speed is better for cut quality??? Does anyone have any advice as far as the Ferris goes? Thanks for your input guys!

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I bought the Toro Z449 (52" deck, 19hp Kawasaki, turbo force deck). It cuts really nice and really fast. Cost me about $6200. I have been happy with it. Dont know much about the other brands you mentioned.

6. Envy Lawn Service

The ZG engines are Kohlers.

The ZG23/54" didn't seem to have slow tip speed. I don't know about the 48" though. I wouldn't put it past Kubota to be a bit low on tip speed because some of their other stuff is.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Interesting.... you should have joined that thread I had going "Engine/Deck/Deck Size Gearing Ratio questions & discussion" as it seems you are happy with the 19hp on the 52".

8. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I would take the Toro. Just my .02. :cool:

9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i see its not on your list but have you looked at the Lesco ZTWO.its just under 6 grand for a 54 inch

10. 3neuby51204

Actually I haven't, I'm not sure I have a dealer close by. I dont think I've ever seen one around here, are they a decent unit?