1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help w/ New Super-Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Apollon, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Apollon

Apollon LawnSite Member

Hello there,

I just purchased a Hustler Super-Z with the Hard Bagger on the rear. I used it for the first time last night after work. First, I'd like to say how much I love and am going to enjoy this great machine. The fit and finish and craftsmanship is excellent. Also the mechanics of it were smooth and sure. After my first cut, I have some questions that I hope I can get answered by the experts.

1.) This is clearly a newbie question. What is the secret to turning on your own axis without leaving a mark on the ground or grass with a Super-Z (Or I guess any Zero Turn Mower) ?

2.) I'm cutting about 3 acres of grass on my 5 acres of land. The catcher fills up faster than I though but I'm cutting Sahara Bermuda and I was cutting it at 2". If I can cut once a week regularly, I don't think I will accumulate this much grass each time. Anyway, The catcher clogged on me at the blower by the deck. It did it twice out of about 14 dumps. I had to take of the upper hose and reach in and pull out the clogged grass in the blower. I guess what I am asking is the proper procedure for dumping and bagging and what can cause clogging ? I finished the lawn with about 9 consecutive dumps with no clogging. I left the blade and blower on, and opened the catcher, I noticed that keeps the blower running and might prevent clogging.

3.) Lastly, Bag or Mulch ? Probably, the age old question. What is best with the equipment or conditions I have and am working with: Hustler Super Z, Sahara Bermuda, 3 acres, slope, North Georgia, Cut times available are after 6pm, Monday-Friday and Weekends. What does the mulching kit do ? I will say that bagging yields a nicer looking lawn. My guess is that you can acheive that with mulching if you cut more often so there is less grass. All opinions are welcome.

4.) Really lastly, do they make a light kit for the Super Z ? It took me longer than expected and I ran into darkness.

Thanks again
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

First of all...... WELCOME TO THE FAMILY !!!
    Now to answer your questions....
    1) K turns and or just slowing down and operating each wheel with a bit more attention will likely take care of your turf tearing, but remember, you are on a 1200 pound mower with a catcher full of grass, you just have to be conscious of the area your turning in.
    2) you are thinking correct on dumping, to help not clog the blower you need to listen to the blower and deck, you will get to learn when it is full by the sound, also I am sure you will not be making as many dumps in the future once you are used to the mower and on a normal mowing schedule.
    3) mulching is a option, although if the grass is wet or to long you may not get the desired results in one pass, I would certainly try mulching as it will speed up your cut time and of course you wont be making those dump trips.
    You will also be more stable on a slope with the catcher off the mower.
    4) We make a light kit for the Hustler Z, same mounts and hook up, we do not recommend it on the Super Z due to the added amps it would draw, the Super is running a hydro cooler fan while the Hustler Z is not, you could run the battery down on the mower if you run the lights, the charging system is running right at the edge of capacity if you put a light kit on a Super Z.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Why do they not put a larger charging system on the Super Z's to eliminate this problem? I noticed John Deere has a 20 amp system.
  4. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

Are there any future plans for the Super Z's to have a higher capacity charging system. It is a shame that the Top Dog of all ZTR's can't run a light kit. I've always thought this was a significant negative to the Super Z and have been surprised that it hasn't been remedied yet. I think there are times for commercial users and homeowners alike when a light kit would come in handy.
    There are other brands out there that have cooling fans, light kits and higher capacity chargers so the parts should be available.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will ask our electrical design engineer and see what he has to say, but I was under the impression we are using the largest charging system's available on the engines we are using.

6. Apollon

Apollon LawnSite Member

Can you also check to see if this can be upgraded on current models ?