1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help w/ RC-7C

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by fire&rain, Feb 27, 2008.

1. fire&rain

fire&rain LawnSite Member

I tried to install a rain sensor (Hunter WRC) on a Rain Bird RC-7C controller this morning.

Here is the problem. There is a jumper between the 24v terminal and the common terminal. When this is removed, with or without the sensor installed, the system will not operate. Is this jumper normal for this controller (I only have 1 other RC in my customer base and never noticed it).

I have the following hooked up for the rain sensor:

yellow (2) - 24v
    white - Common
    blue - common out to valves
    orange - not used

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Put the jumper back, I'd say.
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't the sensor be used instead of the jumper?
  4. fire&rain

yea, did that.

However the rain sensor still doesnt work. Rain Bird says there should not be a jumper there.
  5. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

The jumper must be removed.

Double check your wiring diagram to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be. Also, check that the sensor doesn't have any moisture in it causing the system to shut down. Open the sensor up to the largest water setting (usually 1") and try again. More likely than not you don't have a good connection somewhere along the line.
  6. fire&rain

I agree that the jumper needs to be removed. I have taken the jumper out and can not get the transceiver on the WRC to go to green. I took the same WRC and installed it next door (another customer) on a PRO-C w/ no problem. When the jumper is removed, with or with out the WRC installed, there is not 24v at any of the zone terminals.

I have hooked up around 100-200 rain sensors on all types of controllers, I have never seen a jumper between a 24v terminal and a common terminal. Actually, I dont understand what purpose this would serve (and apparently either does Rain Bird).
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

try asking Hunter instead of Rainbird. Or try a different rain sensor.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the thing was working with a jumper. one wonders why it was there. I use the RC-Bi controllers, which employ no terminal strips.

Got some photos of the hookup? We like photos.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

10. fire&rain

System is on a pump (pressure switch). No master valve.

I agree with the jumper (i will take a few pics and try to post them). Just boggled the mind. I think I am going to put in a PRO-C and be done with it.