Need help w/ recommendation on Zero Turn Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tonybishop, Mar 9, 2004.

1. tonybishop

tonybishop LawnSite Member

We own a Mobile Home Park and are considering purchasing a zero turn mower with the hopes of reducing mowing time. We currently are using a John Deere tractor w/ a belly mower and it takes us two days to mow. We have to cut around 88 mobile homes which are on 19 acres total.
    We have one hill that has a pretty steep incline. Last summer we hired a service to mow and they had a front mounted deck ztr which they mowed the hill with.

My question is what are some of the more reliable mowers that will last a long time and is it best to get a front mounted deck?

I have looked at a John Deere but it seems that they are phasing out the front mounted units.

Thanks,

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Do a search for ztr there is a ton of info on here. What do your local dealers carry, i would start with them. Besides the hill what is the mowing like??? Is it wide open oralot of small yards???

3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

toro z588e is very capable, 60'' deck.

if lots of tight spaces and grass collection is needed, toro z355 would be good and is good on slopes too, mulches and catches.

4. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

I have been mowing for mobile home parks for the last year and a half. I used a Cub Cadet 54" Tank to mow most of it. I could mow up to 100 mobile home lots in a day by myself. Some areas were too tight so I cut them with a walk behind. This year however, I am purchasing a Wright Sentar and am looking forward to getting out and using it. It is supposed to work really well on hills.

5. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

If I had to mow close to alot of mobile homes I would go with Dixie Chopper because you can close the discharge chute before you spray paint somebody's place green . They also hold a hill very well . However consider what the local dealer has in case you have to take it back to get the bugs worked out .

6. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I prefer Kubota ztr for 2 reasons Diesel-cheap fuel, bulletproof motors, long lasting, Diesels are very quiet for mowing around residential properties

7. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Sentar for hills. I have a few lawns with rather steep hills. I like how you can shift your weight on the saddle seat to keep the center of gravity where it hangs the hills. I have gotten to where I can make that sucker stick on hills I used to have to use a weedeater!:D