Need help! Walk-behind for residentials

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Guys,

I need some recommendations for a Walk-behind for my residential props. I already have some bigger equipment for the Commercials, but I need some equipment for tight 1/4 acre and smaller lots.

I would like the following:

-Light weight...350lbs Max.
    -Must bag and side discharge (mulch not required but nice)
    -Industrial motor (Briggs I/C, Honda, or Kawi)
    -Wide deck (Minimum 24") 28"-32" prefered.

Is there anything that fits the bill?

Thanks
    Jimbo

2. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

Toro & Exmark both have 32" & 36" w/b's. They weigh around 375# and side discharge & bag. Both of them have Kawi engines. I own an Exmark Lazer Z 60", and I have no complaints with Exmark. I too am looking for a smaller w/b, and will go with the dealer who I think will give me the best deal & service. I currently have a Troy-Built 33" 3in1 mower and I would not recommend getting one, but mines for sale if your interested.:D Ferris has a 36" model also.

Hope this helps.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Depending on the yards I get this year I may build a 30" light weight walk behind with single blade and manual steer (like Sutech Stealth or Troy Bilt) and a Snapper rear engine rider rear end (variable speed disc drive shift on the go). Would be good for tight or gated areas or real wet areas. Would have 16" tires which are huge for something of the size and weight I'm talking about. It will have a Simplicity lawn tractor mowing deck (good cut) may make some kind of rear bagger device for it like on a lawn tractor only smaller that tucks under the handlebars so it can still get into narrow spots. I think it would be neat and although I may not use it much it would give me something to make and if I do not find a use for it I could always sell it LOL.

Jimbo it wouldn't be ready anytime soon but I could make you one similar to what I described, if you want? The Snapper drive is not commercial duty but would be plenty on a small lightweight w/b like this and the discs are cheap and easy to replace. Could make it fixed or floating deck if you want.
    Ya well email me if you are interested.
    TTYL,
    Eric

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

A Toro 32" or 36" is a good way to go.

5. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

Ferris Hydrocut. A 32" hydro walkbehind.

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

36 scag belt drive walkbehind!!

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 32" Toro fixed deck I bought last month and have a few hours on it. So far, it's mixed. I got it to get through gates, but if you can get at least a 36" and a floater I would go with that. The tires are bigger, with less sliding when you accelerate on wet grass, and I'm finding the fixed deck limiting on the variety of grass heights I have to cut at. You only get about 1" of height adjustment w/o breaking out the toolbox and spending some time. I cut a Tall Fescue lawn today at 3 1/4" and it did fine on a steep slope even. But the non-floating deck seems to damage turf more often on really rough terrain when you set the deck casters down to cut lower. If you mow at the same height all the time, you can set the deck rake up better and it's fine, however.

It mulches pretty well, but seems to not have the vaccum power that my Lazer Z hp does, even though they're both Exmark decks and use the same blades. It won't pick up leaves and pinecones as well, but maybe no wb will. The lazer is pretty good.

As far as weight goes, remember that any weight savings may be countered by the skinnier tires that often accompany smaller deck mowers. My 32" has 5" wide tires. I'd prefer 6.5" at least. The ground pressure is probably similar on all of them.

I really need three mowers, the 48" lazer Z HP, the 32" toro wb for gates, and a 42"-44" hydro wb for wider areas/hills and more "serious" mowing when the ZTR isn't acceptable.

8. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I had a snapper pro 32 and a Toro 32 floater for a while. They are both gone now. A 32 in my opinion has 1 purpose: get through a small gate and into a huge backyard. The reason is because they are so long for some reason, you have trouble getting them to turn in tight spaces (which is what you would think a small mower is for?). To make matters worse, my 2 had a staggered front castor setup which made you have to make funny loops at the end of paths to line up for the next row. Check the specs on the brands you are looking at and you'll see that 32's and 36"s are longer than 48 & 52's for some reason? However if you need it to get through a gate, you'll just have to adapt. 36" would be better if it fits because at least you will get wide tires and double wheel belts, if going gear drive. Just my thoughts.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. Thanks guys.

I think I am even more confused but some good points have been raised. I am trying to get a larger deck onto lawns that the customers dont want a heavy mower on. I guess we are all faced with this and theres no simple solution.
    If you have any more ideas keep em coming.

I saw a 33" cub cadet on Ebay. Anyone tried one of those?

Jimbo

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Also 26" Snapper, Kees, Johnson Big Wheel, etc. look like a push mower but with a larger deck. customer wont' know or care the difference