need help!! which mower to finance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by samg123, Feb 15, 2013.

1. samg123

samg123 LawnSite Member

Hi, I'm looking to start a lawn care business this year. I have been trying! to start a company for 2 years now. This year alot of things have lined up for me so I am looking to finance a new mower. I was wondering what mower I should get? A zero turn rider or a walk behind? I know some are against financing but i have good credit and a full time job to back it. The main reason is i still have some hand helds to buy and i want some left over capitol for start up expenses.

a new husqvarna 150bt backpack blower
    a new husqvarna push mower w/ bagger
    1999 f150 4x4
    6x12 enclosed 3500lbs trailer
    misc. hand tools

still need

string trimmer
    wheel barrel

I am 18 and still live at home and live in lancaster pa if any of that plays a roll
  2. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Look at a stander or walk behind to get started. A lot more versatile. Can always throw a sulky on a wb if it's a large area but not vice versa
  3. parrlawncare

parrlawncare LawnSite Member

Go with a stander, you'll love it unless your on a steep hill.
  4. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

You need to ask yourself, what are you currently cutting, and what kind of account are you going after.

As for myself, I started with and still working with a 36" turf tracer. It can do small yards, cut junk yards, do well enough with the high end yards. Though, it takes a good bit longer to do the larger yards. My next mower will be a Walker to sell more high end yards. You should make it a point to serve those who take pride in their lawns. The biweekly April-Oct crab grass lawn may supplement your income, but does not truly support a viable business.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013