Need Help With 2 Properties!!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gatorman1, Feb 8, 2007.

1. gatorman1

gatorman1 LawnSite Member

I've Picked Up 2 New Yards For This Year. They Both Need Work And Both Have More Weeds Than Grass. Both Customers Want Thick Green Grass And Far Less Weeds. Most Of My Yards I Have Acquired Over The Years Have Been In Good Shape When I Got Them So This Is New To Me. The Ground Has A Lot Of Red Clay In It. One Yard Is An Acre And The Other Is 1/2 Acre. What Should I Do? Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated! (4 Years In The Business And 30 Properties).

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Around here I would take a soil test to see what the lawn needs then kill the lawn, til up, starter fertilizer and re-seed. Not sure about clay in your area.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Soil test.

unless they want to pay for a remove replace let them know it will take two seasons.

4. gatorman1

gatorman1 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, do you think I could aerate real good then sew seed and spray weeds later or just the opposite?

5. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

A soil test is always in order , but there could be a lot of reasons for the poor lawns - is the lawn irrigated ? , what type of grass ? ,is it bad in spots or everywhere ? , is the lawn shaded or open ? , etc . Core aeration is essential in red clay , especially if it has compaction - like being mowed with a heavy riding mower or lawn tractor . However , if the grass is dormant like centipede , bermuda , or any southern grass , you need to wait until spring green-up occurs. There are so many variables here that it would be impossible to diagnose based on your post . Do you have a turf expert that will look at the lawn for you ? If not , maybe your county extension agent can help . Just some food for thought .