Need help with 6 volt forklift

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Jul 14, 2008.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have a 6 volt forklift that will not start with out 5-10 minutes on the battery charger.. Runs fine once started, new battery, alternator is OK, and I even disconnect the positive terminal and still not enough juice to crank it.....

Help....

Thanks

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know these machines but, if I could offer some advise. Just make sure the starter motor is ok. I have, in the past, seen machines acting like this and it's turned out to be a 'lazy' starter. (come to think of it, I know some blokes like that:rolleyes:)

Good luck Phil

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

yep I just had it rebuilt.......its good......but thanks

4. Phil G

Mmmm, tough one that. It's worth checking the earth lead from the battery to the chassis and from the chassis to the engine. Could be breaking down. Good luck Phil :)

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I have been told the 6 volt systems can just be like this.......I would like to sell the unit but this little issue seems to be scaring people off.......otherwise the unit operates great...

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Could also be a dirty/corroded switch. Can you disassemble and clean the contacts? Take a volt meter and see where the voltage is dropping at. Test at the battery and compare to each point down the line toward the starter (solenoid, switch, safety switches, etc). Are you getting close to battery voltage at the starter? Is this thing British, you may need to refill the lucas smoke bottle (just razzin Phil a bit).

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

thanks for the help it is a Yale with 1953 stamped on the engine block......

8. Phil G

Cheeky b'stard :laugh:

9. szwedj

szwedj LawnSite Member

Just a thought, check your battery cables. 6 volt systems draw twice the current as 12 volt so you want real heavy battery cables like 2/0 ga. The normal cables used for 12 volt systems are not heavy enough and will often cause the problems your describing.

Joe

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

thank you....I will be working on this on Saturday Morning....