Need help with 66" xr7 setup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by CurbAppealKS, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I like the split tail wheels on them, and the cleaner looking lines overall.

2. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

They are nice machines, plus a family owned company
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Better yet- they are an American family owned company.

4. CurbAppealKS

Ok guys, might be on to something. I finished mowing early today and went back to the shop to change oil. I did something I should have done long ago.

I got under the deck and decided to measure from the blade tip up to the underside of the deck plate. This was with the blades facing front to back on the mower. Here are the measurements with the front measurement first, then the back.

Left blade: 5 3/16" front ; 5 3/16" back
    Middle blade: 5 1/4" front ; 5" back
    Right blade: 5 1/8" front ; 5 1/8" back

I'm not so concerned with the 1/16" difference in the left and right blade. The blatant problem to me is the center blade. This might explain the problem, but idk. I guess the next step is to get a new spindle on there and see if that remedies the issue. I'm not sure how much they cost for the xr7 deck, but I sure hope it fixes it. Because the only thing it could be after that is the deck itself.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Wish I had conditions like yours to cut in, Id triple my income! :clapping:

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Id check all the blades are straight before looking at the spindles.
    Something else to check would be taking off the deck belt (or just release tension) and feel the spindles for play by push/pulling the blades up n down etc.

Basically, release belt and feel for play, then take blades off and check there straight. Just place them on top of each other and youll get a quick idea if there all good or not.
    Or, keep them on the deck, measure one side of the blade to the deck shell, rotate the blade and measure the other side of the blade at the same spot on the deck.

Im hoping its just a bent blade!

7. CurbAppealKS

Mick, it's not the blades I measured from the tip of the blade up to the bottom of the top deck shell. Those are the measurements you see a few posts up. You might think it's the blades, but this problem was goin on before I replaced the old set of blades with a brand new set of oem high lifts. So that ruled out the blades.

I will try the belt idea, but idk what kind of results I will get. I took both sides of all the blades and checked for any play in the spindles from under the mower. There is no lateral play in the spindles and they turn smoothly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greenology

Just to be sure, I would still turn the middle blade around and measure from blade tip to deck. If its the same measure both sides of blade to the same point of deck, then the spindle would be the likely cause!

9. greenology

I guess the deck wouldn't necessarily be perfect either. So I would also be checking the distance between blade and a level floor & compare those measures to the ones you have from blade to deck. To see whether the 1/4" difference is the same from floor to blade. Just rules out any discrepancy that may be in the deck

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  10. CurbAppealKS

Is there any chance that the spindle housing has become bent backwards throwing the pulley and blade off, but not bending the actual spindle inside? Essentially making the center blade pitched forward, where the other two blades are still level with the top of the deck?

I have already measured from blade tip to floor and the middle blade tip was 1/4" lower than outside blades. And when I took that measurement I made sure there was no pitch to the deck because I understand that the front blade will be slightly lower if there is pitch to the deck.
    Posted via Mobile Device