need help with a bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by draftlawncare, Jan 17, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

i need some help on this one bad . here it is 66.25 acres at 4 sites averaging about 12 miles apart .The first 2 are schools 1 with 8.25 acres about 2 hours weedeating on flat ground. The other school has 24 acres all of it can be mowed on riding mower about 4 1/2 hours weedeating .Next are the parks the first park has 28 acres all flat with about 7 hours of weedeating the other is 6 acres and 2 hours weedeating . Whats the best way to bid this per acre and if so how much? Are by the hour and if so how much per hour? any help would be great a contract like this could really help my company grow

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

i told someone earlier i bid about $4.00 per thousand square feet, you do the math, im to lazy

3. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

$3550.00 per week @28 cuts = 99374.99 per year or $1500.00 per acre

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

5. draftlawncare

pro master 300 25 hp 60 inch deck ~~~ yuk 260z 27 hp 60 inch deck thats my baby

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

You just beat me out. Around here the going price per acre ranges between $65-$75; depending on the trimming involved. It sounds like this job would be on the $75/acre range. He's also in the transitional zone and would probably want to bid it at 32 or 33 cuts. I was able to get in 39 cuts this last year. The biggest problem I can see is that someone with a combination of tractors and zero turn riders is going to come in and rip your bid to shreds. With the equipment you have: 66.25 acres X $75= $4968.75 X 32 cuts = $159,000/yr. Good luck, especially considering you're dealing with the school systems.

7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah like work-it said if someone bids using tractors they will probably be well below what you bid. Thats a lot of mowing for aone account, good luck with it.

8. draftlawncare

thanks for the the info guys i dont think i can get anywhere $75 an acre around here the job is split up into 4 sections its 260 acres all together i know there we be alot of lowballers on this bid i am thinking of buying another 260z and try around $40- $45 a acre ... what do you think???????? its a 30 week mowing season

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I know a lot of guys here would have to agree with me when I say; if you can afford to do it for $40-$45/acre then bid it that way. If you bid 260 acres at $40/acre for 30 cuts you will be bidding $312,000. If you get that, the first thing I would suggest is a 3 year contract so you can afford adding on another 2 or 3 crews along with the tractors to do the work. That's huge, and you may want to consider what you're getting into before bidding it. Are you going to have to treat the grounds? What is your insurance going to cost you? Are you also prepared to get hit with the taxes? You might be able to pull this off, but you need to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you get in over your head. Another thing you may want to consider is a contract that will include snow removal. You may be able to make up some lost ground there. The biggest part of it all is securing the bid for a minimum of 3 years so that you're not stuck with a lot of equipment your still paying for and don't have the work to support it.

10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

If your a small company it may not be the right time for you to take that kind of work on at this time. if you do get it think of it like this. they probably bid it out every year, and if you add employee's and equipment you may just find yourself breaking even. If you dont take it right now you could add more business with out the cost of extra equipment or additional emp. and have a more profitable year. growth must be calculated with all eggs in one basket and bills depending on that basket you just might be putting yourself into the out of business market. just some thoughts