1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help With a Hillside

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by barefootlawnsandlandscape, Aug 15, 2007.

1. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to get some ideas from everyone on what they would do with this hillside. They want low maintenance, the P.O.A. is making them clean it up. It is South facing, no irrigation. I have a few ideas, but was wondering what you guys would do with it. The whole thing is 80ft. long and 33' deep at the west end and tapers down to 18' on the east end, with the east end being the steepest.

Sorry about the quality, they were taken with the camera phone, my Minolta went dead on me today.

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

cut it down with the drfield, as far as landscapeing it what is the budget?
  3. barefootlawnsandlandscape

They didn't give a budget, they have money and want to use me. I was thinking to lay some 1.25" Chocolate Rock and put some ornamental grasses in it. I am concerned about the rock staying put on the east end and was thinking of laying some field stone on that slope (where my truck is parked).
  4. Stillwater

some low growing spreading evergreen with the small stones
  5. barefootlawnsandlandscape

I forgot to metion they don't want a ground cover. My initial suggestion was Vinca Minor, but they were totally against that, they want something they can spray in between with round-up.
  6. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

You could use a few things the only problem with the grass is it will be dormant during the winter. I would use a few different plants. Grey owl juniper or,winterjasmine, cottoneaster, Maybe some knock out roses in the middle. Good luck.
  7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Mexican Feather Grasses, with Red Yucca around the top of the hill. Complete weed supresssion. No need for roundup.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

One approach is to see a tough set of conditions and try to find something that will work under those conditions. Another approach could be to change the conditions.

An relatively inexpensive and easy way to deal with this could be to plant shade trees 20' apart along the flatter area near the road. They would take some of the heat stress off of the slope. More importantly, the trees will divert attention off of the slope.

This is a very powerful visual diversion even though the slope remains very much visible no one seems to notice it. You experience this all of the time, but few people notice this effect and harness it. Take a look around your area. I think you will find a number of ugly slopes that you don't really notice because of this effect.

As the trees mature, they will further protect the slope from both sun and erosion from rain.

Im not saying that this is THE way to go, but just offering a different thought.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just mow it.....when they said they want something low maintenance and they don't have irrigation ...cactus come to mind but most anything will look bad on the hillside without water.
  10. Stillwater

Hess Lawns made a great point just mow it maybe take it a step farther and improve the quality with a more desirable type of grass.