1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help with a motor swap

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by thelawnboss, Sep 9, 2007.

1. thelawnboss

thelawnboss LawnSite Member

Want to take a 23hp kawasaki, put on a 27 hp kohler, both have the 1 in. x 3.16 shaft......the only thingi am really concerned about is weather or not the cluth will fit, as it is a new clutch. Should pretty much bolt right on. Just wanted to ask some questions before i get into it. Anyone do something like this, and did you have any problems? Oh yeah it is on an exmark, lazer HP 2002 model. Thanks for the help.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

As long as the shaft sizes are the same the clutch will bolt right on.
  3. thelawnboss

thelawnboss LawnSite Member

thats what i thought too....might have to adjust the holes to bolt the mower on to the chassis, but i am guessing as long as it is real close i should be able to make it work. Thanks for the re-assurance
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I can think of is you'll want a gear puller handy so as to get those pulleys off, or whatever you have that's up under there, it's really just 4 bolts and so long the shaft's all the same the only other concern are the throttle and electrical connections which you might have to do some tinkering.

Take an afternoon, it's not that bad, first time around is the last time you'll be scared of it, that was my experience.
  5. the wiring harness is where I ran into trouble once swapping engines.