Need help with a price, pics included

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassmannj, Apr 6, 2008.

1. grassmannj

grassmannj LawnSite Member

What should I charge to remove these, and can they be replanted?
    PS I have no heavy equitment just a truck, chain and some shovels.

2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

3. grassmannj

Sorry about that...

IMG_4895.jpg

4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

anything can be replanted- but i doubt it- pulling it out with the truck and chain will do a number on them and because they have grown into each other it would be even harder to replant them as well.

I say 1 hr to remove- loading them into the truck and disposal will take longer

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Cut them off a couple feet above ground. If your chain is not at least 3/8" forget about using it. Tightly wrap the chain around the trunk. Try pulling without jerking too much. If they don't come out, dig around them to expose larger root which should be severed.
    If you try jerking real hard with the truck you run the risk of the chain snapping and injuring someone.

6. grassmannj

I guess my real question is because it will only take an hour or so to dig and pop them out, What should I charge? now if they can be replanted I will do so in a wooded area as not to get rid of them. But If not and I get rid of them they go to the curb and the township will pick them up.

7. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

A tree service will charge about $400. Cut that in half. Forget saving them. They are too close together and you are really going to rip their works apart when you remove them.

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

The truck isn't going to damage the turf?

9. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Same thought to. One thing to be aware of is the water line coming into the house from the street. Get a locate.

10. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't have any heavy equipment i'm not sure what you would move them with if the job called for replanting.

If you were to replant them, I'd get a mini excavator, or compact tractor, dig out a good sized area around the shrubs, and move them like that.

Otherwise digging them out a bit, wrapping the chain, and pulling, your price will depend on the obstacles that are in the way. How close can you get the truck? What's underground: water, sewer, electrical, sprinkler system? Looks like there might be an outdoor lighting system, so that's something to think about--unless its a solar light.

I'd say maybe an hour each, maybe a bit more depending on site variables.