Need help with a quote.. ASAP

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawn-Scapes, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I will be placing my first bid on a commercial property and I'm a little unsure of the mulch quote. There are approximately 300 tree rings to mulch. Average diameter is 3 feet. Mulch needs to be 2 inches deep. About 100 are a sound/privacy barrier for the main road. They are staggered down a (fairly level) 725' stretch. Another 100 are staggered down a 1000' stretch but they are on a 5-6' high burm :eek: The final 100 are around the perimeter of an open play area.

According to my calculations I need 13 yards of mulch for the tree rings that I will round up to 15 yards. I also have a few other beds that may take another 5 yards. So I will need 20 yards total. My price would be $18 per yard.

How long do you think this would take 2 guys? How would you tackle it? How much would you quote?

I'm thinking along the lines of $2000.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Tom - Sounds about right to me. Do you have to edge the tree rings first? Weeding? Be sure to mark-up the mulch. I can't even buy mulch for $18/yd.

If the areas are truck accessible, I find I get mulching jobs done faster by delivering the mulch myself 3 yards at a time in my truck and flinging it staight from the truck. Or, from the truck right to a wheelbarrow. Then I just rake it out quick and hit it with the backpack blower (carefully) to knock down any lumps and bumps.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Darryl,

Thanks for the response. There will be no edging involved and minor weeding. The only problem area will be the burm area. It will be a b-i-t-c-h getting up it with loaded wheelbarrows. :cry:

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Tom, get one of those pull behind carts, that dump, and use your mower to pull it up the hills. Harbor freight might have a cheap one.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Tom,

Sounds like the right amount of mulch to me. I charge $45 - $50 per yard, delivered and spread. That's $1000.00 so if you can get $2000.00, you're the man.

Scott

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that LCO's are in sniper crosshairs in MD.

7. Darryl G

TSG - I sometimes carry 2-5 gallon buckets full of mulch if it's a hard to get spot, carry or drag in/on a tarp, or just fling it with my pitch fork. You may also be able to set up a block & tackle on one of the trees (don't know how big they are), attatch rope to front of wheel barrow, and have one guy pull the rope to assist the guy with the wheel barrow...unless you're working solo. Maybe even rent a mini loader like a Kanga. I don't know if you're familiar with them, so here's a link.

http://www.kanga-loader.com/

8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

This job will go much faster with bag mulch. Its easy for a guy to carry a bag up the berm. I would figure on one bag per tree. Usually there are 9 bags per cu. yard.

9. Darryl G

Excellent point Lanelle! I never use bags because my only source for them is retail.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks for the replies all..

I wish I had a picture of this 1000' long berm section. I'm not good at judging angles but it will be difficult to keep a walkbehind mower going parallel on it. It goes up 6' like this: / then levels of for 4-5' then drops down the other side the same angle. It's one of the dumbest things I've seen!

Lanelle.. I just saw your post as I was typing this. It's been a long time since I've used bagged mulch... I forget about that. Thanks!

So if they are 3 cubic feet per bag I'll need 100 bags. I think my costs are going up. 2 cubic feet would be 150 bags.. right?