Need help with a quote...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by greenpepper, Jul 30, 2007.

1. greenpepper

greenpepper LawnSite Member

Hey all!

I've been trolling around these forums for a while now, and now I have a need for some expertise. I just visited my first quote and I really want to get this account. It would be a great foot in the door to this sub which is considered upper class. This couple is retired and they are leaving for Florida in the fall. They would want me to start in october and do fall/Spring clean up and continue regular lawn maintenance until May. Also they want fertilizer applied in the spring. (I'm going to get my fertillizer license over the winter) I already informed him that I'm not licensed for fert yet. What do you think I should charge this couple? I'm using all commercial equipment including a 48" ZTR. The property is 1 1/3 acres with several trees. I attached a few photos for reference. I really appreciate any advice, I'm pretty new at this and I don't want to screw this up.

Thanks,

-Brett

IMG_6633.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

IMG_6631.jpg

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

That's a whole lot of trees to have any idea EXACTLY what it's going to cost. I would give them a regular mowing price + a per bag price to haul it off. I'm guessing the weekly mowing & leaf bagging to be upwards of $350 though. As for chemicals, try to get them to do a full program with you. It doesn't really make much sense for them to do just one step. If they want just one, mark it up significantly over your material cost for that one step.

3. Kut N Edge

Kut N Edge LawnSite Member

I would suggest something but im on the same path you are. I would know what to charge em. I would charge them 100 per two weeks but thats just me

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I missed something, but I don't see anywhere that he says he's going to bag the clippings...

1-1/3 acres, grass is in very good shape, a moderate amount of trees and trimming - 85-105 per cut. I give this range because I'm not sure what the market is in your area. I know exactly what I'd charge, but it probably does not apply to you.

5. greenpepper

greenpepper LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the replys everyone!

I'm thinking I'm going to charge about $50/wk this is my first quote and I don' t want to price myself out of the market. That will include leaf clean up and hauling away the clippings (which I have a large trailer and property to dump clippings) So from October to May (which I figure is about 12 mowings) which equals $600.00 after my senior discount that would be around $540.00. I just don't know how much more I can get here in North Central Indiana. Everyone's got to start somewhere I guess. I may be way off on this one, I guess it's all part of the learning curve!

thanks again!

Brett