1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with a situation

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by exmarkking, Nov 11, 2012.

1. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

That's great! That's what I'm going to do over the winter. I'm going to get a map and plot every customer on there and see who fits the route and who doesn't. I'm going to time every property and compare that to what we are charging. If your far away, we will have to raise prices or get rid of them. It's hard to turn down work but there is no point in servicing a property if it isn't profitable. After that's what we do this for. To make money. I'm going to restructure everything like you said from scheduling, policies, ect. I think then I will have a clear view of what's making money and what isn't. I'm going to only pickup jobs that fits our agenda to make money. Also setup a service area that will will service and advertise only that area. Where I live there is tons of big neighborhoods with lots of houses. Build a tight route and charge accordingly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. azjojo99

azjojo99 LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

There is a new book out "The E-Myth Landscape Contractor", It is by Gerber and Tony Bass, the guy from Super Lawn Trucks. I highly recommend the book, it has examples and insights from Tony specifically for landscape companies. This book is helping me big time, I have a total mess, close to 1000 customers and very few systems.

3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I've been looking into "Landscape management network" Software don't know if anybody has looked at it but it seems to be a good way to get ahold of the numbers aspect of the business IE: pricing, estimating and generaly running your company by a strict budget based on real numbers not just shoot from the hip kinda stuff. If anyone has looked at it let me know what you think.

4. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed...I would just like to say thank you to all the helpful advice in this thread. I also have not done enough business planning and need to take the bull by the horns here and plan and budget, write manuals etc. Thanks - my winter time projects.

Jason

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I turned all my billing over to my sister, she used to do medical billing for a large company until she had twins and became a stay at home mom, So i pay her a couple hundred a month to keep on top of my billing and make sure it all gets done.

It helps her because she gets a few hundred bucks a month to work from home for a few hours, and i dont have to deal with the hassle of billing any more.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Also, I used to have a problem keeping everything organized as well, so i made a route sheet up with check boxes after each persons name, i use it the whole month and put a check every time i mow the lawn. At the end of the month its easy to look back and count the number of times i mowed it.

[​IMG]