need help with a stump quote

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by zackvbra, Dec 23, 2012.

1. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Post this in the heavy equ. forum for the guys that do this stuff every day. I would sub contract with a friend that has a large excavator. I would expect to remove 4 an hour. 18" dia pine tree is not a very big tree and most likely has shallow root system.

2. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys, but he found someone that owns an excavator that will do it for $15 an hour, a price I cannot even begin to compete with. don't know how he'll make any money, but not my problem. oh well...

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Let him get the practice, he definitely needs it. However unless the guy is starting tomorrow, give him a price for when the guy doesnt show.
    I gave a price of 500 when a customer found someone for 200. He called me after 2 weeks and had me do it after 3 no shows.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wow, 15 an hour including equipment

What is this world coming to?

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I watched one guy take after a bunch of stumps after a storm went through with a little backhoe that he thought would do the job... big mistake... he looked like a grasshopper out there bouncing up and down trying to rip up the roots... even doing one root at a time it was a pathertic site...

Be absolutely sure that the backhoe is the largest around and the operator has a brain... I can't imagine that the guy I saw did anything but loose money and probably took 10 years off the life of the machine... :)

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A real machine won't even be loaded onto a trailer for under $100.00... the posts above are correct in indicating this, 15/hr.,,, will never be a reality so expect to have a solution when the problems become clear to the client... :)

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

20-25 ton machine with thumb and skeleton bucket.

Expect to pay lowboy both ways.

Charge for trucking, nothings free.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Is he going to haul them away too for that $15/hr? :laugh:

9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bet that this is the kind of "excavator" you get for $15 a hour.

deere-719322.jpg

10. southern79

southern79 LawnSite Member

Fuel cost alone will be more than $15.00 hr
    Posted via Mobile Device