Need help with a timer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by spray_man, Apr 12, 2007.

1. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

My house has a mechanical timer - Wheel and pegs - you know. I would like to change to a digital timer. What brand or type should I look for? I have no pump but have that idiot valve (do not know what it is called) that switches from line to line (four lines) when turned on or off. The water goes on and off with a 24vac valve.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Pardon me if I say that you should stick with what you have. The 'idiot valve' is not anything that controller manufacturers have any interest in dealing with.

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

With that indexing valve your possibilities are pretty limited. The indexing valve needs to have a brief rest period between zones to allow it to 'reset' itself to move to the next zone.

You could do it with an 8 station controller by programming a 1 minute delay between stations and using jump wires to connect the four zones on the controller.

Or you could pull the indexing valve out and install four individual valves.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

5. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Another solution is to install the RB 4 sta modular and in the advanced settings a delay between zones can be programmed in.

6. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

The last indexing valve thread ended with 138 replies and morphed into a cat and dog fight.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Interesting how things are done differently depending on where you live...

I've been in the irrigation business for over 20 years here in the Silicon Valley, taken irrigation design classes thru the O.H. programs at 2 community colleges...

I've messed with the odd hydraulic system, seen a couple of 110 VAC valves, and all kinds of variations on backflow preventers over the years... and this is the first time I've ever heard of an "indexing valve"...

And of course, the only place I've seen a vibratory plow is in trade magazine articles and in pictures you guys from other places post here...

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

An original electromechanical controller for an indexing valve system is very likely to be more reliable than any solid state replacement. Lacking any compelling reason to replace it (and none was posted) one should stick with reliability.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

"If it aint broke, don't fix it." :)

However, since you want an electronic controller and want to keep the indexing valve then Jason posted the answer. If you want to get rid of the indexing valve and install separate automatic valves then there are hundreds of options.

10. I want to install some Fimco.....but....I bet they are hard to winterize properly...hmmmmm