Need help with an estimate & how to - Top dressing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have never done any top dressing.. so I need help.

The lawn is 9600 square feet. I am also going to aerate & seed the lawn.

Am I right in my calulations.. 15-17 yards of dressing?

I know when I see the pile sitting in the drive.. I'll have visions of me saying to myself ... WTF did I get myself into?

I just don't see myself shoveling and flinging 15 yards of dirt. I haven't checked my local rental center.. Is there a machine that will make this job easier?

What is the best way to approach/do it?

Being that I have no experience with this.. What price/time am I looking at here?

I will want to aerate and seed before I topdress.. right?

To top it all off... I have to put down 22 yards of mulch at this location also..

I wish I had a helper :(

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We only put down 1/4 in. down for dressing but 1/2 in. will do also so your numbers are ok for 1/2 in.

We charge $72.50 per cubic yard for lawn dressing...

3. Lawn-Scapes

Thanks Alan.. but can you spare a little more info?

Like procedure and about how long it should take...

4. LoneStarLawn

Takes two of us a little less than an hour per cubic yard (wheel barrow, shovels and rakes).

Now the lawn dressing lawns that we do are not very big (3 cubic yards at the most) so I would think you are going to have a real good time.

We have it delivered around the date we are going to apply the dressing and from there on it is all labor for us.

Mulch blowers would be the best machines for the job but I don't know if you can rent them.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Oh yeah.. A really good time :cry: Believe it or not.. this is a small lawn for around here.

I'm going to need every bit of a half inch thickness. The lawn in really really thin & there's a lot of shale too.

If I get the job.. it's going to be loooong week.

6. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Can the delivery guy drive in the area that you are going to fill? if so, maybe he can pretty much spread it all over and you will do minor work it should take about an hour to level every 1000sqf. this way. If not maybe you can rent a Bobcat with the bucket and a landcapers rake, around here it's about $400.00 a day including delivery, ins. and fuel.
    You Should have the Bobcat delivery early in the morning and make a pass with the landscaper rake, that way you don't have to aerate, then put the bucket and spread the soil, put the rake again and level it.

spread grass seed at a rate of about 5 pounds for every 1000sqf.
    then Starter Fertilizer, Straw and lots of water.

It would take about 8-10hrs tops.

I'd charge something between 12000 and 14000

7. LoneStarLawn

Is that right? $12,000 to $14,000 or should that be $1200 and $1400?

8. Lawn-Scapes

At that price I may spread it with a spoon :D

9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

10. If you have a lawn comber with flail blades set it at the highest setting to help finish spreading top dressings. Saves a lot of hand raking and makes a nice finished look. Might be worth renting one for a few hours on a job that size. The rake will bust up the aeration plugs so all that will be left is the turf from the plug, which will clean up on the first mow.