Need help with arching problem.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by F2K, Aug 24, 2006.

1. F2K

F2K LawnSite Member

I have a Gravely 260z, I purchased a new starter solenoid and installed it today. When I try to hook up the positive battery connection it archs bad. I hooked up my old one and now it's doing it as well. What do i need to look at??
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

remove the cable to the starter and try again hooking the battery connection up. this will give us some more clues.
  3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Something is on. Does the engine try to crank when you do this? Sounds like the relay is in backwards or something.
  4. jeffco67

jeffco67 LawnSite Member

Yup. I'd be pulling fuses and relays 'till the arcing stops, then trace what's on that circuit...
  5. F2K

F2K LawnSite Member

the engine dosen't try to crank, just the solenoid turns.
  6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

If I see a giant fire-ball to the north tonight, I'll know you're still working on it!:laugh: :laugh:
    Remove one wire at a time as stated above, then just tap cable to batt post and see if short still exists. Your _ABSOLUTELY_ certain you have battery polarity correct, right?
    Just for giggles, check it again.
  7. F2K

F2K LawnSite Member

I hooked the battery cable up to the terminal, still archs when i try to put it on the solenoid. I unplugged both relay's still archs. I don't know what else it could be??
  8. F2K

F2K LawnSite Member

could it be a bad ground wire from the negative side of the battery?? It looks fine though, and it's tight as Dick's hatband.
  9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, Not likely. Post the model and serial numbers off the unit and the engine so we can see exactly what you have there.
  10. F2K

F2K LawnSite Member

gravely 260z model 992029 Kawasaki 25 hp fh721v, I spoke with a buddy of mine who is a John Deere service tech and he said that if the solenoid was in reverse when i tried to put power to it, that it could've reversed the polarity in the battery??