Need help with bid fast!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JMiller08, Apr 17, 2008.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys i need help on a bid. Its an area roughly 25x50 with a few large trees. Area needs topsoil built up and leveled and built up around trees. Whats a good depth of topsoil? How much topsoil will i need? What should i charge for topsoil at 18 a yard screened and a 20 delivery fee? All the soil will be dumped in the drive and have to be wheelbarrowed in by hand. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind i also need to buy seed and straw. This is only half the yard the other half will be done in fall if we get this part right. Thanks guys.

2. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to say without seeing some pics. What do you mean by "built up"? Is the soil to poor in quality for seeding/sod. Are there some areas in this 1250 sf that require 10,11,12 inches of top soil while other areas only need 4,5,6 inches?

3. JMiller08

The lady wants all the roots from the trees covered up so about 5 inches thick there to cover those about 10 feet all the way around two trees. some spots will only require about 3 to 5 inches it looks like. I think sod is out of the question because of her budget. So just seed and straw it is the way its looking. What would you charge per man hour just to labor the dirt?

4. You might as well cut the trees down.

5. JMiller08

Thats out of the question lol

6. amscapes03

5 inches over the entire area would be around 19 yards at $30.00 per yard and $45.00 for delivery. 6 bales of straw at $10.00 each. 10 pounds of good quality seed should cover around 2000 sf for $30.00. Starter fert. $30.00. Materials total around $735.00. How many guys doing the job?

7. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i think he is saying that u cannot cover the exposed roots with soil, or u will kill the trees.

8. amscapes03

$45.00 per man hour minimum.

9. amscapes03

Never heard of covering exposed tree roots with soil killing the tree before.

10. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

I second that, unless you have 10 illegals doing it then 120 an hour