Need help with bid for fencing job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dean1130, Jun 9, 2008.

1. dean1130

dean1130 LawnSite Member

I need to give this lady a bid on a fencing job for a horse ranch. There is about 40 acres to be fenced. She has already cleared the trees and brush where the fence is going. she has bought all the material, fence timbers ( i think 3x5''s), all the wire. All the holes have already been dug. So all i have to do is put the post in the ground, level them and put dirt back in and then she want's 3 strands of wire. the bottom and top are non barbwire and the middle will be electric. And again this is for 40 acres. What would you guys come up for a bid. I also may be using my tractor also for somethings.
  2. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

Acres don't tell us much. How many posts are there is what you need to know. I would guess 10 minutes a post, which includes getting the posts there with the tractor. But I've never done barb/electric wire.
  3. dean1130

dean1130 LawnSite Member

Its a huge square, every 8 ft is a post, so it will be alot of post. I was going to give a bid 1500.00.
  4. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

That's not enough. You have to figure what your time is worth...I think it'll take you way more than 10 minutes a post. Don't forget that you're going to have to stretch all that wire and tie it to the posts.

Your tractor shouldn't be free either.

As a thought, if this lady has already done all that work she most likely is looking for the cheapest guy out there, ie: beer money. Good luck though.
  5. BrIONwoshMunky

BrIONwoshMunky LawnSite Member

40 acres, in a square, will be 1 mile of perimeter. That's a LOT of fence. 660 posts @ every 8'

1500/660 = ~$2.27/post

Totally not worth it in my book.

I'd just give her an hourly rate and go from there.
  6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I just did a job where 8 post rotted out because they sit in wet soil. It was a post and three rail with wire. I told her it was like putting up a whole new fence due to everything had to come apart. Charged her 100/post for a total of 800.00. And this guy wants to charge 2.27 a post!!! What the hell is going on??? We are professional contractors with families not the 14 year old with a 21 and wagon. WTF. We all some day will want to retire but not charging correctly will not help us.
    I work in a highly competitive market and almost at he top of the scale but there is one guy who is at the top and it still seems he has more work then he can handle. Think about it.
  7. dean1130

dean1130 LawnSite Member

I will bid way higher then. I haven't given a bid yet. It's all labor, no material cost, so didn't want to over bid. But didn't really have any idea how to bid a huge fencing job like that, just because not sure how many hours it will take.
  8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Usually fence projects are bid by the foot.

A wood post every 8 feet? Is there a lot of animal pressure on that fence?
  9. dean1130

dean1130 LawnSite Member

It was for horse's all wire fence, except for the wood post... But Called her back today and she has someone coming saturday to do the fence, but she still has me doing the tree work for thursday, so thanks for all the info and replies, def will help out in the future.
  10. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

What did they bid?