Need help with bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deason, Jun 17, 2001.

1. deason

deason LawnSite Member

I am a newcomer to this business. I started last year and have worked into a what I think is a pretty sucessful part time lawn service. Lately, I have found myself taking on bigger jobs along with lawn care that I need some help with on the estimates.

Here is an example:

A customer wants me to level a portion of thier property that was left in bad shape by a septic installation contractor. The problem is that I will need a tractor and box blade to do the work and do it right, but I dont have this equipment. I will have to rent it.

When giving and estimte for this job, do you calculate stem time to and from the rental? I can operate heavy machinery so the small tractor will be no problem, do I charge a differant fee for operating the equipment over an above my usual hourly rate?

I dont want to over price these people, they are good customers. They have given me MANY referals. But, I sure as heck dont want to under price myself.

Any advice will be appreciated.

2. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am fairly new to this as well. What I would do is charge an hourly rate on how long you think it will take you. Charge for your time to get to and from the rental place, for the rental and fuel. Also price in any overhead you have on maintenance on your vehicles and insurance and all that jazz.

Basically all your costs and your hourly rate.

Hope this helped a bit.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Find someone who knows how to do the job, get a bid from them, add on a fair fee for you, submit your bid, sit back while they do the work and get your fee for planning it all. The fee you charge or the rental fee will be about the same, just get someone else to do it and take it easy.