Need Help with Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenleaf1, Feb 4, 2008.

1. greenleaf1

greenleaf1 LawnSite Member

we are bidding on a cemetery, which i know is a time killer, but it's 3 1/2 acres with 1,200 headstones. They have a fence around the entire property with trees/bushes that hang over from the lot next to it. They want a bid for the mowing, keeping fence line trimmed (bushes/branches) and some small dirt work, (dirt on site). They want the bid on a per mow charge with some trimming of fence line each time or done good once.

With my figuring we are at $650.00 per cut. Any advise.

Thanks

2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

If this is your first cemetary bid, I would ask the property manager if you could do a time study on the property BEFORE you bid. Trim 20 headstones, trim along one property line, count total trees/bushes on property, then bid according to your time and overhead. 70% of your time spent on this property will be trimming.

This way, you demonstrate to the property mgr. that you care enough to know your time and cost for the bid process. Almost all PM's will appreciate your need to know and will work with you.

3. greenleaf1

Thanks for the good advice, that wasn't even something we had considered. Still learning the tricks of the trade.

Really apperciate you taking your time to help out.

Greenleaf Lawncare
    Brooks

4. Jaon t

Jaon t LawnSite Member

Dirt work? At a cemetary? No thanks..... Don't they have people that do that?

5. greenleaf1

The dirt work is after the grave has been filled, months later the ground settles. When they want the seed put down, it needs to be leveled. Only about 2 inches of dirt before putting down seed.

We wouldn't even think of doing anymore then that.

Brooks

6. Jaon t

Jaon t LawnSite Member

That makes more sense to me. Sounds like a trimming nightmare, do you have to trim the headstones weekly? Might consider some Primo Max (retardant), very expensive but I would think it would be very effective in this situation around the headstones.

7. Wise_A

Wise_A LawnSite Member

This seems like really good advice.

8. greenleaf1

There are 1,200 headstones, but half are "sunken" so they can be mowed over. The others are not that bad. We are going to get to do a test on time as soon as it stops raining. The bad thing is, the bids are due Friday 2/8. May not get the chance to even test it out. We're in Kansas City, so rain is going to turn to snow. The snow will be on the ground still on Friday. I should of swallowed my pride and asked the question earlier. I do really appreciate the advise and have learned a valuable lesson for future bids.

without getting the opportunity to test the time, or seeing the property, does it sound like i'm in the ballpark to get the job or at least staying competitive?

Thanks
    Brooks
    Greenleaf Lawncare
    Owner/Partner

9. greenleaf1

NO,

They want it done twice a month. They also stated over 1/4 of the headstones get sprayed with weed killer by the family of the deceased. That will eliminate some trimming, but we are not relying on hearsay.

Brooks

10. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

Dirt Work

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The dirt work is after the grave has been filled, months later the ground settles. When they want the seed put down, it needs to be leveled. Only about 2 inches of dirt before putting down seed.

We wouldn't even think of doing anymore then that.

Brooks

I have a few years experiance working in cemeteries, and the amount of dirt work needed will greatly vary to the amount of moisture that you get in the winter. This also will vary with the amount of times you freeze solid and thaw during the winter. Some years we will need two to three inches on some graves other years some can sink up to six to eight inches in one winter. I am not trying to complicate things I just wanted you to know a little more to make an informed bid.