Need help with bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHAN, Mar 14, 2003.

1. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

I am about to bid on a contract to cut and trim blow walkways +/- 1,000,000' of grass area. apartment complex with 160 buildings. What i need is help from someone that knows how to bid these large jobs. E-mails welcomed.
    Thanks

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

When i bid on larger jobs i break it down to acreage. So 1,000,000 sq ft will be aprox. 23 acres. I usually charge around $80 an acre for mowing so i would charge around $1,840 to cut that much grass plus a little more to blow off all hardscapes.

3. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

Thanks
    What about trimming around all the buildings trash can container holders, close line poles and light poles along with signs on the 23 ac. This is what i had thought but then i was fig. on bidding each building and the grass around it times the number of buildings.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Usually the $80 an acre includes trimming but its just basic trimming. If its alot of trimming then i would raise the price to around $100 an acre. If you have a pesticide license then i would apply a 4-6" strip of roundup around all posts, trashcan containers etc which means you can get the mower decks around everything and no trimming is needed. If you hav eno license paybe you can sub out the work to a company that does have one. Make it ALOT easier and less work on your part.

5. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

yes we are lic. applicator here in al. will ask about that monday if that would be ok to do that. i was just figuring it a lot higher than that even at 100 per ac. that would be like doing each building as a yard at 14.75 each. there are no realy large areas maybe 4 at about 100 by 200. How would you bid a 450,000 spray app to control all weeds and pest and fert. on a 7 app program. no realy large area here most are about 40-60 wide and up to 400 long.parking lot ilands around buildings right a way on city streets. all they care about is to be pest free and look the best in town mostly bermuda.