1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help with blade belt.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 3, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Heh guys, I just messed up and could use some advice on what I might need to do to remedy this. I just changed my blades with the help of a new "blade buddy". It's a piece of metal that goes over the blade and stops it so thus it helps to change it. I forgot that I left it on the left blade and when I engaged the blades at the customer's house, smoke started comming out the bottom. I didn't know what it was so I turned it off and then started it again. Same thing. Then I decided to look underneath. Didn't see anything but then I saw the blade buddy on the ground underneath as it had just fallen off. Now the blades work and it still cuts good, but it's a bit more shaky and more vibrations. I later looked at the blade belt under the cover and it appeared to be very loose and the reason the machine seemed more shaky with the blades engaged. Did I just stretch the belt out and need another one? I hope this is the only problem. Will I need to take it in for service or should I try and replace the blade belt myself? Is it bad to use it to cut with a loose belt? Is there a way I can just tighten it? It's a 36in wb scag by the way, 2007 model.

Thanks in advance.

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

not sure if you can tighten it. it might have bent the blade slightly too. changing the belt is easy enough, but check the blade too. its probably just stretched though. replacing it is cheap enough anyhow. try it and let us know
  3. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh heck no, them ag belts all need a little smoking to break them in proper. I have smoked more belts than I care to remember, more than a few times have I re-installed a new belt one pulley the wrong way and much squealing and blue smoke and little rubber pieces everywhere... So I would keep right on running it and you're likely gtg.

It used to worry me to death, at 50-80 dollars a belt that crap ain't funny, but I just keep running the old one until it's broken. I might recommend thou, do stop by and get a new belt when you get a chance, then keep running the old one but so you have a spare, it will probably still last several years but get a spare just for when that happens it will save your tail.

Yes sir, run them till they break, and I don't care how bad it looks I run it 'till it breaks in two.
    But keep that spare handy, always keep a brand new spare belt around.

Now one day, many years later I did finally learn how not to smoke belts like that :p
    They do last a bit longer if you don't lol
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

hay Green Paw.....

go ahead and replace the belt your self, ya cant tighten them up. there on an Idler...

If you had chuncks off the old belt this could cause the vib....

if this doesn't fix it, call your dealer and ask him, if that doesnt work shop time ...

Best of luck to ya my friend