Need help with centipede grass in eastern NC

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by horn1004, May 13, 2005.

1. horn1004

horn1004 LawnSite Member

horn1004
    Winterville, NC

I'm having some serious issues with my yard and having a hard time figuring out what to do. Here's a timeline of my yard

August of last year - new house, new yard, soil in the front is mainly clay, soil in the back is nice, no trees in front yard, back yard has several tall pines- tilled yard incorporating starter fertilizer, laid 950 sq yards of centipede sod.

The sod took off great, real thick and green and growing nicely, no weeds

October - spread Scott's winterizer

March - since no real signs of weeds, spread Scott's southern lawns formula at end of March

April - tons of weeds in the back yard, but I can deal with them. The front yard is where the main problem is. I think I have brown patch which is coming and going. I first noticed it about the second week of April. I bought some fungus spray but did not apply it. I took the advice of someone who told me I probably wasn't watering enough and also said I put down the wrong fertilizer. I upped my watering schedule and it seemed to help. On his advice I also spread some iron. We got 3+ inches of rain this past Saturday so I hadn't watered until tonight. In the meantime, the grass has made another turn for the worse. Basically, in the affected areas, the leaves fold in half. There are also some leaves with dark tips and some completely maroon in color. None of the spots seem to be completely "dead", but the areas are real thin and look very bad.

May - Applied the fungus control at the beginning of this week but I guess it is still too early to tell if it is working.

Can I please get some help diagnosing what my problem is and tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to get back the lawn I had late last summer?

2. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Ok FIRST quit watering at night and start watering in the early morning

Next have you ruled out GRUBS

and lastly brown patch will spread if you dont keep your mower clean so after each mow WASH the underside of your mower and if you have a nother company mowing it for you have them start cleaning there equipment

And yes it is too early for the fungicide to start showing any improvement but keep on using it

3. horn1004

horn1004 LawnSite Member

I really should have invested in a sprinkler system b/c rarely do I have time to water in the morning. I try as much as I can to do it but more often I have to water in the afternoon or evening when I get home from work.

As far as grubs, I haven't even thought about that. What signs should I look for?

Good idea on washing the mower. Never though about that.

As an update, I decided to mow a little lower this time. I've been mowing at 2in and went down to 1.5in. I don't know why but the grass looks much healthier generally looks better.

Grass Masters - where in NC are you located?

4. Grass Masters

from NC

Im about 45 mins wes of Charlotte

Now as far as grobs go take a shovel and cut out (DONT DIG) cut out a one sq foot section of grass and if you can could ten or more grubs then you have a problem

If you do have a fungus problem you can use all of the Fungicide you can afford but until you stop watering at night you wont fix anything

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

miscalculated............

6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

How much (in pounds) fertilizer did you put down on this 950 sq yds of centipede?The Scotts Southern shows 26 for the nitrogen rate,so if you bought a 50 pound bag x .26 = 13 lbs of actual N per bag.13/9(actually 8550 sq ft to the 950 sq yds) = 1.4444 of actual N.Centipede only needs 1 pound of N per year.I'm guessing you've put down too much nitrogen,since you said you applied in August,October,and March as well.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that this is some of the problem. You can fertilize 1 time a year on centipede. Here is some more reading.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=106291&highlight=centipede
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=80133&highlight=centipede

8. horn1004

horn1004 LawnSite Member

Just a quick little update -

The yard seems to be doing alot better. I cut it a little shorter than I normally do. After doing so the grass looks much healthier. I do still have this one spot which needs some help. I've attached a pic so if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Grass Masters

from NC

It is looking good JUST give the Centipeed time to grow in the bare spot and dont fret over it.....Trust me it will fill in in due time

Or you could add some Plugs and help it along