1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with choosing organic fertilizer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by danottaway85, May 14, 2013.

1. seabee003

seabee003 LawnSite Member

I only wish I was that smart. Crabgrass has a high IQ :dizzy: (actually it is well adapted to compete in hot and dry conditions).

I usually put down Miloganite the first week of Sep and go for the Winterizer syn fert in mid Oct. Looks like we are similiar if we factor zone differences. I may move both applications up a week or two as I like your thinking on irrigation considerations. thnx for feedback.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Screamin Green is a good bet as a brdige-type formulation--and I am thinking it would work out well in the fall--so no need for a syn fert in the fall. You are right to use spot spray, as spot spray applies about a hundred times less product per thousand sqft. Also, you might consider the low toxicity-low odor products for weed control. Triclopyr for instance needs four times less less ounces per acre--water clear--no odor--organic soybean oil carrier, much less toxic than Weed-B-Gone. Triclopyr is sometimes called Ortho Chickweed, Oxalis, Clover Killer.
    http://www.dowagro.com/turf/products/herbicides/turflon_ester_ultra.htm

Secondly, you may want to consider Quicksilver herbicide. I use about 20 drops per gallon. Toxicity is even less--about a hundred times safer than Weed B Gone.

And...for some sensitive accounts I included 10 minutes of hand weeding before each fertilizer treatment. Fine for dandelions, violets and large weeds--not so easy for clover or creeping charlie. Five minutes per thousand sqft is about right. Extra time optional at extra cost. These customers usually consented to a bit of spot spraying in the fall.