1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help with Clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Sky King, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

First job it ingages good, after that it dopes not ingage right a way, some times I have to idle the motor and then reve it up, after it gets hot I have to reve the motor 2 or 3 times or more.

Can I take the clutch a part and clesn it or is it just wore out? it has abour 700 hours on it.

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to check the PTO switch sometimes they work intermitently.
  3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of mower are we talking about ?
  4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the air gap adjustment.
  5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on the air gap adjustment as posted by Steppenwolf, more on your mower will help with diagnostics.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As SW and MM stated, If your clutch looks like the one below check the air gap. There is three slots in part # 5 to insert a 0.012 feeler gage then adjust the three nuts until you feel a little drag on the gage. But only move each nut a little at a time because one will throw the other out.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent post, and excellent diagram.
    Wayne, be aware however, that most newer clutches aren't like this, and they re just replaceable. They werar out after awhile, and you can tell, because they start doing what yours is doing. When it get hot, it doesn't engage - yet you still hear the hiss. To avoid excessive wear on the next one, idle the engine down and let the blades slow all the way down BEFORE disengaging the clutch. This saves alot of that gap. Also, engage at a lower rpm than full on. It is amazing how much more life you can get out of a clutch by following these.
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I was having this exact problem with my clutch this spring. Very similiar, if not the same, as the diagram from Rob. Iv'e had several machines (from new) and never had one do this before. This one was just a little out from the factory I suppose, or wore a little more in the beginning than others. Anyway I knew it was adjustable but had no idea what the gap should be. I just guessed at .010" Word of warning though, go around it at least 2 times when adjusting to make sure they are all exactly the same.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

could also be an electrical problem..you will nedd to
  10. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

It Is a Gravely 144Z It has about 650 hours on it, it started last year not to bad at first, but now it is getting a little worst.
    Thanks for the reply I will try the Adjustment.